Mayo Clinic (MN) vs USUHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AndyTom21

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I got accepted to the Mayo Clinic Rochester campus today and USUHS last week, and I am having a tough time choosing between them. Before applying, I served five years on active duty in the Marine Corps and three years in the Army National Guard. My plan upon leaving active duty was always to reenter the military as a physician. I would be attending Mayo on an HPSP scholarship, and USUHS is free, so the cost of attendance is not an issue.

Mayo Clinic

Pros

• I think overall, Mayo is a better school
  • The research opportunities are more interesting
  • The cost of living is much lower in Rochester (I could realistically buy a house)
  • 4-year service commitment (in case I don't like military medicine)
Cons
  • I would make roughly $36000 a year with the HPSP stipend (sounds like a lot to some, but I have two children)
  • Colder weather
  • Kids would have to be in school or daycare full-time, so my wife could work
USUHS

Pros

• I would make about $93,000 a year (O1-E pay with six years of service)
  • Military fraternity, I would fit in better and make friends easier in a military school
  • The support system is much better at USUHS (base housing, daycare, military spouse network, etc.)
  • Warmer weather
  • More time spent with family as my wife would not have to work
Cons
  • The cost of living in Bethesda is outrageous, and there is no way I could afford a house
  • 7-year service commitment means I would essentially be trapped in the military even if I didn't like it
  • Not as good of a reputation as Mayo or as good opportunities for research
Please let me know what you think; I am really torn here. On the one hand, I think life would be easier at USUHS simply because I would be less stressed about money. On the other hand, Mayo Clinic is kind of a dream school for me. I never expected to get an interview there, let alone get accepted. If anyone has experience with either program, I would love to hear what you have to say.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think this entirely comes down to whether you want a full career in the military. I have a family member who went to USUHS and has absolutely loved their military career. If you are just using the military to pay for school (which is debated whether you actually come out ahead), the I would say choose Mayo for a civilian career or USUHS for a military one. You mention a fear of being trapped in the military which makes me think you are not sure if you want a full military career.

If you want a full military career, go to USUHS. You will have the easier time (socially, family taken care of, support system) and have relatively the same military options as Mayo would give for a military career.

If you want a civilian career, then it is Mayo Clinic 100%. Way more opportunities and you are not locked in. I would even consider ways to do Mayo without HPSP if you want a civilian career.

I think this entirely comes down to whether you want a full career in the military. I have a family member who went to USUHS and has absolutely loved their military career. If you are just using the military to pay for school (which is debated whether you actually come out ahead), the I would say choose Mayo for a civilian career or USUHS for a military one. You mention a fear of being trapped in the military which makes me think you are not sure if you want a full military career.

If you want a full military career, go to USUHS. You will have the easier time (socially, family taken care of, support system) and have relatively the same military options as Mayo would give for a military career.

If you want a civilian career, then it is Mayo Clinic 100%. Way more opportunities and you are not locked in. I would even consider ways to do Mayo without HPSP if you want a civilian career.
Yes, that is kind of the issue. I loved my time in the military, but I was enlisted infantry. Without having experience with military medicine, it's difficult to say whether I want a career in military medicine or not. Right now I want a career in the military, but I may end up not liking it. And I would still have a civilian career after I retire from the military.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree that this comes down to whether you want a military or civilian career.

Would also add that if you have a particular specialty choice in mind that might inform your decision as well. Specifically, matching surgical sub-specialties can be more of an uphill battle in the military. You’ll also take more of a pay cut as the differential between civilian and military salaries in those specialties could cost you millions over a 10-20 year military career whereas less of a gap for primary care specialties.

Moreover, Mayo is a unique culture that makes for a singular med school experience independent of the professional opportunities it affords.