Mayo-How cold is it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daddymd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I'm starting to freak out a little like probably some of you about the rank list, I was hoping to hear a few additional thoughts on the Mayo program from people who interviewed/rotated there. I thought the curriculum was really strong, Rochester seemed like a decent place (I'm not single), and all the faculty are really young (a plus/minus in my book). Couldn't find any real big negatives other than the cold. What did others think?

Members don't see this ad.

daddymd said:
Mayo-How cold is it?

Hold on...let me check the fridge... ;)

Keep in mind that I'm answering this as a Texan...

It's damn cold.

It was about 10 degrees when I went up for my interview. I drove up to Duluth (I wanted to see what true cold was all about) where it was -22F. THAT'S cold.

OTOH, I went up there for a second look and it was down right tropical (in a MN sort of way) with highs around 48 or so. Not bad at all.

Anyway, yes, it gets cold. Of course, it gets damn hot down here (Galveston). We have great winters, they have great summers. To me, it sort of works out.

Anyway, I really liked the program and feel the benefits of the program outweigh the intimidation of a MN winter. Plus, my kids are kind of interested in this snow concept.

Take care,
Jeff

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm answering this as a chicagoan

it's freaking cold

grouptherapy said:
i'm answering this as a chicagoan

it's freaking cold

As a Chicagoan at Mayo, let me answer the question. My wife and I have called home more than 10+ times this winter when the evening news listed Chicago as colder than Rochester. I'll grant that it was usually 1 or 2 degrees, but hey, colder is colder. That said, when Chicago is warmer, it is also by 1 or 2 degrees. With the exception of one cold snap (that slammed Chicago as well but hit us harder) there has not really been a noticable difference. Except for a lot less snow (no lake effect).

It is really not bad, and the whole state is set up for the cold with pedestrian subways and skyways connecting everything.

BTW - I LOVE my program and would not change my rank list one bit if I had it to do over again. (I ranked Mayo #1). I think our faculty is tremendous, and the experiences, in the department, on off-service rotations, and in the community are second to none. As an intern I already have a first author publication, am the associate medical director (including scene response) for two EMS agencies and a fire department, fly routinely on Mayo One, and have taught medics both here and at the BTLS international conference. What else could I ask for?

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

- H

Dude, my only question is "can you save a spot for me in the med school class starting 2007?"

Back on topic: speaking as a Minnesotan, cold is merely one more thing in life to be fought against and overcome... or else dealt with intelligently and kept from being a problem. It's all about the layers.

FoughtFyr said:
As a Chicagoan at Mayo, let me answer the question. My wife and I have called home more than 10+ times this winter when the evening news listed Chicago as colder than Rochester. I'll grant that it was usually 1 or 2 degrees, but hey, colder is colder. That said, when Chicago is warmer, it is also by 1 or 2 degrees. With the exception of one cold snap (that slammed Chicago as well but hit us harder) there has not really been a noticable difference. Except for a lot less snow (no lake effect).
tomorrow's forecast/weather.com

chicago high 30 low 12
rochester high 17 low 2

lake michigan has a warming effect in the winter

grouptherapy said:
tomorrow's forecast/weather.com

chicago high 30 low 12
rochester high 17 low 2

lake michigan has a warming effect in the winter

Well, I've got to be honest, I have not really noticed a difference. I mean is there really that much difference between 12 and 2? At a certain point it is cold - put on a jacket, then it is really cold - put on a jacket, hat, and gloves.

And of course, it is always 72 and florescently lit where I spend most of my time.

- H

Waaaay up in the air. I'm talking to docs as well as PA's (including one who's doing a job similar to what I'd want to do, and who is heading back to med school). I'm not scared of the time it would take to do med school; the only thing I don't have time for is doing something I'm not happy with and then doing the other option later.