Mayo Jax Anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PamIsHorny

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm new here. I did make use of the search function and couldn't find answers to these questions. Thanks in advance to all who help me out.

1) I saw in one of the "top anesthesiology programs" threads that mayo jacksonville was considered Fourth tier by someone in the know. Is that really what everyone out there thinks about this program? I had heard that matching there was only slightly less competitive than their mothership program. Making it a USMLE 230ish, grades: mixed High pass and Honors type of place. Fourth tier makes me think.... I don't know what that means.

2) I had also heard that the transitional year spots are reserved for their radonc and radiology residents. Anyone know if that is true?

I apologize in advance if these questions have already been answered. I swear I used the search function.
PamIsHorny

Members don't see this ad.

Uh, interesting screen name.

I believe there are threads on this if you look a little harder. PMichaelMD is a former resident.

It's not as competitive as you may think. I've heard that they ship alot of things out, that they have a recent leadership change, and that their volume leaves something to be desired. It is a small place, especially compared with Rochester. Super rumor: Apparently they had to go pretty far down their match list in 2007.

Keep looking for threads!

Hello all. I'm new here. I did make use of the search function and couldn't find answers to these questions. Thanks in advance to all who help me out.

1) I saw in one of the "top anesthesiology programs" threads that mayo jacksonville was considered Fourth tier by someone in the know. Is that really what everyone out there thinks about this program? I had heard that matching there was only slightly less competitive than their mothership program. Making it a USMLE 230ish, grades: mixed High pass and Honors type of place. Fourth tier makes me think.... I don't know what that means.

2) I had also heard that the transitional year spots are reserved for their radonc and radiology residents. Anyone know if that is true?

I apologize in advance if these questions have already been answered. I swear I used the search function.
PamIsHorny

thanks coastie,

the screen name is a mnemonic from First Aid Step I regarding Horner's syndrome. I probably chose something too esoteric. Most probably won't pick up that my avatar is a dog with pet horner's.

I appreciate the info. I'll keep looking for the threads you mentioned.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks coastie,

the screen name is a mnemonic from First Aid Step I regarding Horner's syndrome. I probably chose something too esoteric. Most probably won't pick up that my avatar is a dog with pet horner's.

Your avatar looks like a dog winking...going along with your screen name??? :p

Odd program when I interviewed there a few years ago. My impression was that most of the attendings were rather pompous and very proud of the fact that they were "Mayo people." The case load and diversity was rather lacking too.

i ranked it #2 in 06, held back because i lijed my #1 so much, but also because so new. Liked everyone i met and liked Jax-ville though. Big names and light workload, I imagine you learn a lot, but maybe not as practical a training location?

Transitional spots are reserved for anyone who needs a PGY1 year except Podiatrists.