Mayo OMFS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WestCoast

OMFS
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think about Mayo OMFS? I haven't heared much about the program besides the obvious name of the medical school. Any thoughts regarding their training (strengths/weaknesses) would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

There is a great discription of the program on the AAOMS website. It is obviously a great program... very academic in nature (as are most 6yr OMFS programs).

you have to do 3 years of med school... too much in my opinion
there's a mayo omfs sdn'r on here somewhere who could give more info though

Members don't see this ad :)
I did an externship there recently and can't tell you what an awesome place it is. I mean the town is small and there is really nothing to do, but the hospital and department are terrfic. The best part of the program though are the residents and staff, working with guys like Van Ess and Keller was amazing, they really like to teach and do a great job at it which really impressed me. The number of sedation wizzes that are done there in the outpatient clinic is unbelieveable, and the experience you get as a resident is outstanding in major OMFS stuff like orthognathics and surgical exo. Its true that the program has 3yr med school, if your ok with that then Mayo is an awesome program.

BSSO:

Thanks for the info. What kind of procedures are they known for? Would you say they do a lot of trauma or mainly dentoalveolar? How about Cosmetics and oncology? Thanks.

Most of the cases are orthognathic. I saw a couple of big cases while i was there like ORN cases which included raising tonuge flaps to revascularize the radionecrotic part of the mandible. But there was a ton of orthognathic and dentoalveolar. The pathology while i was there was a bit limited but they did have some huge multicyctic ameloblastomas come through and stuff like that. Like i said if you are interested in getting a great background in office type OMFS procedures this is an awesome place, if your looking for oncology and more craniofacial stuff then there are stronger programs for that.

Hi BSSO -

What are the programs that are strong in oncology?

Michigan, Maryland LSU are those that i have heard of that do a lot of there own oncology cases and neck dissections, but that is just what i have heard.