Mayo phone interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

relatively prime

post happy member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got an e-mail from Mayo saying that they want to give me a phone interview. Anyone else get this e-mail?

Anybody done one of these interviews before? Anybody have any idea about what I should expect? Anybody remember any of the questions?

Members don't see this ad.

Nope, but I'm still waiting for my AMCAS to be verified...bastards!

Congrads. I'm pretty sure Mayo screens pretty heavily for the phone interview. I've head people who've gone through it years ago say that it was weird.

Good luck!

RP - I got one. Nope..never done a phone interview before.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeh phone interview def weird. secretary asks u questions and u talk into the phone where she records ur answers. then they listen to it later. weeeeeiiiiiiird.

Ask mpp and JJ4 - they're going there next year so they should be able to give you some info :)

did u already pay the $60? Or did u get the invite before paying?

had to cough it up first. i should probably do that. least i could do.

The mysterious phone interview. First off, check the SDN Interview Feedback as I posted one for the phone interview and one for the on-site interview.

It is a bit different but it makes a lot of sense. The idea is that they want to see if you share simlar values, ideals, and interests with the type of physicians that Mayo likes to include in its family. Mayo is not just a school or a clinic or a hospital, but it can be thought of as sort of a method of medicine. It might sound a little strange and if it bothers you, then perhaps Mayo isn't the best place. By using a phone interview instead of written essay, you have less time to prepare something that 'sounds good' and are instead answering questions off the cuff so that they get a more accurate picture (albeit less than perfect) of you.

The phone interview will consist of about 20 questions or so. Some of the topics deal with medicine but most are personal in nature regarding what you value, how you spend your time, how you got to this point in life, and how you might make choices in the future. Some of the questions might throw you, but just take your time and answer thoughtfully. The interviewer is an expert at picking out BS, so definitely answer honestly. I answered honestly about my experiences with illegal drugs, underage drinking, and smoking and was still accepted.

I found the most difficult aspect of the phone interview the idea that the interviewer provides no feedback. Apart from repeating the question if you need it, the interviewer will not clarify or reword the question. And without the interviewer present, you can't use body language to see how what you are saying is affecting the listener. The other problem I had is I find it easier to slip into the mode of just rambling when on the phone as compared with when I am discussing something in person.

Some questions will be just yes/no with additional questions depending on how you answer. Some will be explicit and others more philosophical in nature.

If it helps any, I think that the values that Mayo has built itself upon include:
The Patient Always Comes First -- attributed to one of the Mayo brother's famous quote 'the best interest of the patient is the only interest to be considered'
Compassion
Respect for the Individual
Service to the Individual and to Society
Professionalism
Teamwork

Incorporating some of those values into your answers will be quite helpful. Take a look at the Mayo website ( www.mayoclinic.org ) to get an idea of the history and philosophy of Mayo.

Let me know if you have any other questions. After the phone interview and once they receive your letters of recommendation, it will about 2 weeks or less before you will know if you are invited for an on-site interview. Best of luck...

Forgot to add a hearty congratulations! Less than half (more like 30 percent) will be invited for the telephone interview, so you've impressed them. Keep it up...

Thanks mpp!! yeah, I was really happy today when I got their e-mail. I read on their website that they only give phone interview to about 30% of the applicants. They also said that it takes ~four~ after the phone interview to decide if they want you for an on-site interview. Maybe they just say that to give them some time... I don't know.

I'll go to their website like you said... thanks again! :clap:

I'm so glad I didn't have any phone interviews. Do they schedule a time and let you know when they'll call you? With my luck, I would have been in the shower, all soaped up when they'd call and my mom would come bang on the door and say "Mayo's on the phone." So, I'd have to jump out of the shower, grab the phone and answer all their questions, standing there dripping wet and freezing!!! Man, I'm glad I didn't get one!!!

Did you send your LORs before they offered you a phone interview?

Congrats Relatively Prime. Doing good so early in the season! Anyways, I wonder if they cashed your check before the phone interview. It took me a little bit of time to send the check off and it still hasn't been cashed.

Ah well, just being a neurotic pre-med. Wondering if they're gonna get around to me...

You will be asked to send letters of recommendation when you are invited to participate in the phone interview. Do not send them earlier.

They will have you schedule a date and time for your telephone interview by either calling them or doing it through e-mail.

I suppose it could take up to four weeks to hear back. Most people I knew it was quicker, as long as those letters of recommendation are sent quickly.

Just want to reinforce what was stated in previous posts about "the Mayo way." I'll be starting my residency at Mayo next summer after internship. The Mayo Clinic is legendary for how they screen and recruit physicians and medical students. In a sense, when you choose Mayo you're not only choosing a medical school or training program, you are choosing a philosophy of patient care and worldview toward healthcare. Mayo wants doctors who truly understand and will apply the Mayo approach to medicine---state of the art, integrated, patient-centered care delivered in a compassionate manner that puts the needs of the patient above all other considerations. It reminds me a lot of when I applied to osteopathic schools: DO schools seek not only qualified candidates, but also students who truly understand and embrace the philosophy of osteopathic medicine.

Make sure you read-up on Mayo Clinic history, what vision the Mayo brothers had in mind when they founded their clinic, and how Mayo has shaped as well as responded to trends in healthcare. Read the Mayo website and try to skim the biographies of the Mayo brothers. There is truly no other place in the world like the Mayo clinic. It is an elite training environment--not only in terms of *what* they do, but *how* they do it. Mayo will not tolerate any cynical "House of God" kind of attitudes among its physicians. I would have donated a kidney to go there for medical school and feel very fortunate indeed to be going there for residency. Good luck and keep us posted!