Mayo Rochester Interview Day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arb

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those that interviewed at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, how long did the interview day last? Arranging my flights at the moment. Would you recommend flying to Minneapolis and taking the bus to Rochester?

Members don't see this ad.

For those that interviewed at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, how long did the interview day last? Arranging my flights at the moment. Would you recommend flying to Minneapolis and taking the bus to Rochester?

http://www.gorochesterdirect.com/ there's a shuttle that will take you from minneapolis airport to any of the hotels that Mayo will put you up in. its about a 90min drive. the day lasts until about 3ish but if you have pressing flight plans let the PC know early so that she can schedule your interviews earlier than others who have no time limits.

Thank you for the info! Apparently you go on rounds with teams during your interview day? Are we expected to participate in any way? Thank you for any responses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the info! Apparently you go on rounds with teams during your interview day? Are we expected to participate in any way? Thank you for any responses.

The rounds are just so that you get an idea of what goes on in a typical day and how consultants/residents interact. the only participation in that part is when you enter the patients' rooms, they will introduce you and then you just greet the patient. no big deal, and usually the rounds occur after the tour and last only for about half hour until it is time to move on to the next item on the agenda.

the only place where you may have some participation is the morning report, if they do it in small groups. even then its not something to stress about, and review is not necessary if you already know your stuff. if you think your medical knowledge is lacking or you tend to blank under pressure, i guess it wouldn't hurt to review. its definitely NOT malignant though, a generally pleasant experience. don't worry about it.

http://www.gorochesterdirect.com/ there's a shuttle that will take you from minneapolis airport to any of the hotels that Mayo will put you up in. its about a 90min drive. the day lasts until about 3ish but if you have pressing flight plans let the PC know early so that she can schedule your interviews earlier than others who have no time limits.

I took that bus so I'll add a comment. Taking it FROM Rochester to the Minneapolis airport can be a bit dicey because the bus has to deal with weather/traffic/roadblocks, etc. We got held up by an accident on the highway, resulting in many people being anxious about their 5pm flights. So if you're on a tight schedule, it would be better to leave from the Rochester airport.

Anyone want to talk about their Rochester interview day? I have one coming up next week and would like any info. Thanks in advance.

It was very relaxed last year. The program director Dr. McDonald introduces you to Mayo and its accomplishments, you go to morning report, go on rounds briefly. You have 2-3 interviews, one is with an associate program director. The chief residents are with you the entire day and very approachable. Great program.

Does anyone have a fellowship match list for Mayo other than the 10 year one posted on the website? I'm curious where residents went in last year's match, for example. Feel free to PM me - I have an interview there in the upcoming weeks and would appreciate the help.

rent a car my friend. the shuttle is expensive (around 25 dollars), so it would cost you 50 bucks just to go from the airport to rochester and back, not to mention your transportation costs during ur stay in mayo. if you go to priceline, you can get a great deal (12 dollars sometimes per day) and you pay extra gas, but then you are free and can plan your trip without trouble.

best of luck