Mayo Surf Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rayden001

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to the Mayo surf program for this summer:). Does anyone know if this program would add a boost to my application?

Members don't see this ad.

I have been accepted to the Mayo surf program for this summer:). Does anyone know if this program would add a boost to my application?

It's pretty competitive to get, so I'd assume yes. I did it last summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
How was it? How much has it helped your app?

I enjoyed it. Lab work + all kinds of organized activities, lectures, events, etc. Stipend rather than hourly pay is nice also because you don't feel obligated to sit around if there is nothing to do (tho it makes coming in on weekends a little worse ;))

No idea how much it helped my app @ other schools but it must have @ MMS. The research I participated in was very interesting and was definetly brought up at interviews.

awesome, me too! i'm not sure how mayo surf compares to the baylor program, so i'm stuck =(

when did you find out? i was told really really late.

I enjoyed it. Lab work + all kinds of organized activities, lectures, events, etc. Stipend rather than hourly pay is nice also because you don't feel obligated to sit around if there is nothing to do (tho it makes coming in on weekends a little worse ;))

No idea how much it helped my app @ other schools but it must have @ MMS. The research I participated in was very interesting and was definetly brought up at interviews.

Thanks for the response. Do you think it is possible to get any thorough MCAT studying done while at the program? I plan on taking the MCAT in August.

I didn't know they had any waves out there in MN, so maybe doing residency out there won't be so bad if I can catch some waves on my time off. :D

I guess i better buy a really thick wetsuit, cuz it gets hella cold out there.

Congratulations! I applied... but no acceptance =/ I did get accepted into another one so I will not be sitting at home all summer or at school taking classes. But the obvious answer to your questions is yes, it will look good on your application. I don't see how it would not be beneficial. Do you know what the specifics are on what research you will be conducting?

Yes, of course. Any program like this will 'help' you application. Doing it at a place like Mayo will do so even more. Congrats btw.

I know the SURF program at Mayo is intended to be a recruiting device for their PhD and MD/PhD programs.. but if you apply to just the MD program, do you think being in the Mayo SURF helps?

I've never heard of the Mayo Surf Program. Is there a website so I can take a look? I will apply for the program once I get back into school.

I've never heard of the Mayo Surf Program. Is there a website so I can take a look? I will apply for the program once I get back into school.

Just a thought, but you might wanna try going to google and typing "mayo surf" (hint: it's the first one that comes up)