MBA after residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMPGY3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be finishing IM residency in the next year.
My plan for the next few years is probably a hospitalist position, pay off my 450K debt, get my wife and 2 kids situated in an area with a good school system by family, don't want to be moving them around.
I've interviewed at a few places for outpatient and their long run compensation model is attractive, still considering.
I don't see myself in a full time clinical position after 5 year-7 years. I would rather work in management or administration, with part-time clinical work.
How much does it matter to get a top 10 MBA geared towards healthcare management for future management positions? If it matter that much, I might consider taking a job close to the university that I want to get the MBA at.
I have family in a certain area that I would rather be around, but the MBA in healthcare offered by the universities around are not considered top MBA programs. If I were to choose to live by family, I would attempt to get a clinical job at a larger organization around the area and work up the ladder that way.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Take this as one person's opinion, but I don't think you need to get into a top 10 MBA program. Would it help if you wanted to join big name health systems or consulting firms? Sure. But some health systems are so eager to get physicians with some business sense into leadership positions that any decent MBA should suffice.

Agree.

We aren't talking getting hired for i-banking or consulting gigs -- healthcare administration is a different beast, in that while it wouldn't hurt to be coming out of HBS, the recruitment criteria they are looking for is different than pure pedigree.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is a hard question to answer. Linked in recently published a great study on this. You have a 15-30% higher chance (in absolute terms) to gain an executive position depending on the city. However, someone with 15 years experience with a state MBA may have a higher chance of landing a position than a Harvard/Yale MBA with 5 years experience.

A top 10 MBA will help your chances for sure, especially at large cities and/or top hospitals. However, if you're okay with community hospitals or hospitals outside of large cities, you may not even need an MBA to get an admin position. It's all relative.

Top 10 MBA (Harvard/Upenn, etc) > Top state (UT Austin/Ohio State, etc) > the rest

Large urban academic center >>> community hospital in desirable location =/ academic center in non-desirable city > medium hospital in smaller city > small rural hospital

I will be finishing IM residency in the next year.
My plan for the next few years is probably a hospitalist position, pay off my 450K debt, get my wife and 2 kids situated in an area with a good school system by family, don't want to be moving them around.
I've interviewed at a few places for outpatient and their long run compensation model is attractive, still considering.
I don't see myself in a full time clinical position after 5 year-7 years. I would rather work in management or administration, with part-time clinical work.
How much does it matter to get a top 10 MBA geared towards healthcare management for future management positions? If it matter that much, I might consider taking a job close to the university that I want to get the MBA at.
I have family in a certain area that I would rather be around, but the MBA in healthcare offered by the universities around are not considered top MBA programs. If I were to choose to live by family, I would attempt to get a clinical job at a larger organization around the area and work up the ladder that way.

I have a lot friends in venture capital whose firms have hired MD/MBA’s part time for evaluating potential investments, usually at the seed stage. Most of them DO NOT consult outside expertise unless they have DIRECT connection. The syllabus at Harvard med will probably be same as that at as your state school but people go to Harvard/Stanford for the connections! And in business all that matters is connections; otherwise what difference does it make going to a good program versus an online MBA!?