MBA and BS at the same time - advised for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aikomidori

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently on track to finish an MBA and a BS in biochem all at the same time before I graduate (normal 4 year graduation). I was wondering whether or not this is advised for med school, cause in order to get the mba I have to do mba related internships over my summers (and therefore not medical ones). I have been volunteering in hospitals ever since my freshmen year (I'm in my second year right now) and I have a lot of research experience. I am also planning on shadowing a physician sometime soon.

I'm confused because I won't be able to do something medically related while doing the MBA internships (I might be able to volunteer at a local hospital at the same time though), therefore I'll look like I don't care about medicine...but I also know that med schools want well-rounded students.

Members don't see this ad.

The MBA's not going hurt if you already have a lot of medical experience. Are you going to get an MBA with a biotech/medical concentration?

I am currently on track to finish an MBA and a BS in biochem all at the same time before I graduate (normal 4 year graduation). I was wondering whether or not this is advised for med school, cause in order to get the mba I have to do mba related internships over my summers (and therefore not medical ones). I have been volunteering in hospitals ever since my freshmen year (I'm in my second year right now) and I have a lot of research experience. I am also planning on shadowing a physician sometime soon.

I'm confused because I won't be able to do something medically related while doing the MBA internships (I might be able to volunteer at a local hospital at the same time though), therefore I'll look like I don't care about medicine...but I also know that med schools want well-rounded students.

Nah, as long your GPA is good and you do well on the MCAT you're fine (assuming you're getting in your volunteering, shadowing, experiences, etc. which it seems like you are).

Our school actually has MD/JD, MD/MBA, etc. programs - med schools aren't totally against anything non-medically related....they just want to make sure you are also on top of your medicine-related things. You seem like you're doing fine, so I would actually say that this is a very positive point on your application (ability to handle multiple things at one time).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys :D I wasn't sure or not whether it would be worthwhile, but now I feel much better:D

The MBA will have a financial concentration, not biotech :)

Thanks again!

The MBA, BTW, doesn't help your med school application. Classes specifically required for the MBA will be listed uunder graduate level classes and won't contribute to the undergrad GPA by which adcomms sort your application. The internships will be ECs you can list on your application. I think that trying to continue with some form of clinical experience during those times, even if only 2 hours a week, is a good idea.

oh okay, yeah I figured that, that's why I'm trying hard to keep my GPA at a 3.9 for my undergrad classes :)

That's exactly what I was thinking to do - do clinical stuff while doing the MBA internships

Thanks a lot :)