MBA degree in orthopedics: yes or no?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

orthodoctfemur

Medical Student
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering if anybody could comment on the value of anMBA degree for somebody trying to go into orthopedics. I chose not to pursue this but recently I have heard from differentsources that I should have done it. Iguess it’s too late for me as a fourth year med student but for those of youwho have an MBA degree, do you think it was worth it? I am worried that I willnot have the business know how. Thanks for your input.

NJ
 
I was wondering if anybody could comment on the value of anMBA degree for somebody trying to go into orthopedics. I chose not to pursue this but recently I have heard from differentsources that I should have done it. Iguess it’s too late for me as a fourth year med student but for those of youwho have an MBA degree, do you think it was worth it? I am worried that I willnot have the business know how. Thanks for your input.

NJ

I have a D.O. friend in an orthopaedic class with me, its basically a post-doctoral class at my university. He also obtained an M.B.A. and I am going to ask him if he is planning on applying to orthopaedic surgery residency, because he is doing orthopaedic research. I would think it would be something for your own benefit, as it is not specifically oriented towards orthopaedics. I think not only business knowledge is needed, but legal knowledge as well. If you are trying to get patents in the future, as in Gary Michelson's empire, was helped to be brewed by his brother being a patent lawyer, so every design he had was patented free of charge. This would be an impossible feet by most inventors. As for practice knowledge, and M.B.A. may help aid you in principles of running your own practice. As for getting into the residency, I can't say, but it IS another credential.