MBA during fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrmatt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm a med peds resident who will begin an Allergy/Immunology fellowship next year (location TBD). I have grown more and more interested in health systems and the role of technology in patient care. I'd ultimately like to end up in a leadership role in my division or within a large health center. Given these interests and goals I've been considering pursuing an MBA. I wanted to see if anyone has done an MBA as part of fellowship? I am applying to some of the M7 fellowship programs and am considering applying for part/full time MBA tracks based on where I match for fellowship. I do know that Kellogg now has a special track in E&W for residents/fellows of McGaw that sounds like an excellent opportunity.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all, I'm a med peds resident who will begin an Allergy/Immunology fellowship next year (location TBD). I have grown more and more interested in health systems and the role of technology in patient care. I'd ultimately like to end up in a leadership role in my division or within a large health center. Given these interests and goals I've been considering pursuing an MBA. I wanted to see if anyone has done an MBA as part of fellowship? I am applying to some of the M7 fellowship programs and am considering applying for part/full time MBA tracks based on where I match for fellowship. I do know that Kellogg now has a special track in E&W for residents/fellows of McGaw that sounds like an excellent opportunity.

Weill Cornell Medicine offers a Healthcare Leadership and Management fellowship, where one can get MBA from Cornell Johnson Graduate School of Business and MS in Healthcare Leadership from Weill Cornell Graduate School of Medicine for free as part of the fellowship program.

Cool program but looks like it’s just for ER physicians.

I don't have an MBA myself, but have met and talked with many physicians who do. Only one of them said he wouldn't do it again. His reason was he felt like you can learn the information on your own, without paying tuition. So, if you decide to do it, it may be good to consider the networking opportunities you'll get in addition to the curriculum that you'll get.