MBA during ortho residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pimpmybones

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all,

Im starting my orthopedic residency in July and may have the oppertunity to complete an evening MBA in a period of 3-4 years during my residency.

I love Ortho and plan to practice orthopedic surgery. I dont want to work for any health care company as a consultant or anything of tht nature I want to operate on peoples bones!!!!!

However I am very bussiness minded and there are a lot of different "projects" tht i would like to pursue after residency and fellowship..one of which is building and directing a hospital in another country... Not to mention I dont know the 1st thing about running an efficent practice which i hear doctors are terrible @.

Is an MBA necessary for my future endevors?

If so do i need to go to a good school or is it all the same @ every business school?

Is this even realistic as a ortho resident?

Sould I wait untill i finish residency then do an MBA then fellowship??

Is there somewhere i can learn how to do such things without actually getting a MBA?

Thanks for all your help & please forgive my ignorance.

I posted this in the MBA section but have recieved no reply.
 
Are you sure you can consolidate an evening MBA program with your call schedule in ortho? If yes, do the math - 80 hr week (avg) in residency plus sleep plus ADLs plus MBA...does it all fit in a 168 hr week?
 
Hello all,

Im starting my orthopedic residency in July and may have the oppertunity to complete an evening MBA in a period of 3-4 years during my residency.

I love Ortho and plan to practice orthopedic surgery. I dont want to work for any health care company as a consultant or anything of tht nature I want to operate on peoples bones!!!!!

However I am very bussiness minded and there are a lot of different "projects" tht i would like to pursue after residency and fellowship..one of which is building and directing a hospital in another country... Not to mention I dont know the 1st thing about running an efficent practice which i hear doctors are terrible @.

Is an MBA necessary for my future endevors?

If so do i need to go to a good school or is it all the same @ every business school?

Is this even realistic as a ortho resident?

Sould I wait untill i finish residency then do an MBA then fellowship??

Is there somewhere i can learn how to do such things without actually getting a MBA?

Thanks for all your help & please forgive my ignorance.

I posted this in the MBA section but have recieved no reply.

One last post before I go downstairs...

dude--you do NOT need a 3-year degree to make smart busienss decisions. Break out of the 'get degree' mold'.

Sanders waits....

DB gone