MBA during ortho residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pimpmybones

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hello all,

Im starting my orthopedic residency in July and may have the oppertunity to complete an evening MBA in a period of 3-4 years during my residency.

I love Ortho and plan to practice orthopedic surgery. I dont want to work for any health care company as a consultant or anything of tht nature I want to operate on peoples bones!!!!!

However I am very bussiness minded and there are a lot of different "projects" tht i would like to pursue after residency and fellowship..one of which is building and directing a hospital in another country... Not to mention I dont know the 1st thing about running an efficent practice which i hear doctors are terrible @.

Is an MBA necessary for my future endevors?

If so do i need to go to a good school or is it all the same @ every business school?

Is this even realistic as a ortho resident?

Sould I wait untill i finish residency then do an MBA then fellowship??

Is there somewhere i can learn how to do such things without actually getting a MBA?

Thanks for all your help & please forgive my ignorance.

I posted this in the MBA section but have recieved no reply.

Kalifornia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are you sure you can consolidate an evening MBA program with your call schedule in ortho? If yes, do the math - 80 hr week (avg) in residency plus sleep plus ADLs plus MBA...does it all fit in a 168 hr week?

Debridement

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Im starting my orthopedic residency in July and may have the oppertunity to complete an evening MBA in a period of 3-4 years during my residency.

I love Ortho and plan to practice orthopedic surgery. I dont want to work for any health care company as a consultant or anything of tht nature I want to operate on peoples bones!!!!!

However I am very bussiness minded and there are a lot of different "projects" tht i would like to pursue after residency and fellowship..one of which is building and directing a hospital in another country... Not to mention I dont know the 1st thing about running an efficent practice which i hear doctors are terrible @.

Is an MBA necessary for my future endevors?

If so do i need to go to a good school or is it all the same @ every business school?

Is this even realistic as a ortho resident?

Sould I wait untill i finish residency then do an MBA then fellowship??

Is there somewhere i can learn how to do such things without actually getting a MBA?

Thanks for all your help & please forgive my ignorance.

I posted this in the MBA section but have recieved no reply.

One last post before I go downstairs...

dude--you do NOT need a 3-year degree to make smart busienss decisions. Break out of the 'get degree' mold'.

Sanders waits....

DB gone