mba during residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cloudyroom

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just got my gmat score back and i'm very pleased (700+). i plan on going to b-school during my 2nd and 3rd year of gas residency. does anyone know anyone else whose done this or have a reason why it wouldn't be possible? i plan on doing residency in nyc (sinai/columbia) or boston (bid/bwh) and going to columbia/harvard for b school. so far the b schools seemed very interested but i wanted to know how hectic the last 2 years of anesthesia are. so far from what i've been hearing people are working 50-60 hours a week.. seems totally doable.

i plan on getting into health care private equity and/or pharma

Members don't see this ad.

i'm also interested in hearing about doing b school during residency. looking forward to any input people have.

Please do not waste the resources on attending business school. I am a current MS3 who obtained a business degree from a top 20 school. The MBA degree is a sham credential filled with smoke, mirrors, unsubstantiated opinions and tedious examinations of one of a kind situations you will never see in your practice that, after all is said and done, contribute nothing to your skill set. The vast majority of what you will experience in pursuing an MBA is busy work. The only class that had some value was finance. The rest of the "classes" were just thrown together cases and opinions that failed to contribute to a learning process. Most business situations can be negotiated by applying a bit of financial analysis and some common sense to the situation at hand. They do not issue that in b school.

Members don't see this ad :)
That might be the case but I think it would help if I want to get into private equity/vc

That might be the case but I think it would help if I want to get into private equity/vc

MBA during residency is only possible if you go to a part-time MBA...but then that type of MBA is not good for PE/VC. If you have really have your heart set on PE/VC, take a leap of faith and just go to B-school full-time.

I'm a pre-med, but I've got family members in PE, so I'm speaking from some experience. A part-time MBA WILL NOT HELP in PE, unless it's middle-market PE that you're shooting for. Even then, you might not be happy with the deal flow that you are seeing.

The top-shelf PE also like people with work experience (finance related). Contrary to popular belief, medical experience will not help in PE like it does in, say consulting.

PM me if you have any questions.

MBA during residency is only possible if you go to a part-time MBA...but then that type of MBA is not good for PE/VC. If you have really have your heart set on PE/VC, take a leap of faith and just go to B-school full-time.

I'm a pre-med, but I've got family members in PE, so I'm speaking from some experience. A part-time MBA WILL NOT HELP in PE, unless it's middle-market PE that you're shooting for. Even then, you might not be happy with the deal flow that you are seeing.

The top-shelf PE also like people with work experience (finance related). Contrary to popular belief, medical experience will not help in PE like it does in, say consulting.

PM me if you have any questions.

I thought part time mba programs gave the same degree as full time. what's the difference? btw, thanks to you and all others who offered their thoughts.

when you get the diploma, part-time MBA is the same as full-time MBA. You get to use the same resources, career centers, same professors, same everything. My understanding (at least from my family members) is that you take significantly less classes. You typically don't go intern for a summer, which is a big blow to your aspirations. Majority of students get their full-time offers from these internships. How will you go on an internship if you're in the middle of a residency? In the end, your CV/Resume is less developed.

Of course, if you are really really smart, have great interpersonal skills, and go to a top 10 B-school, this is none of your concern...same thing if you are already in the industry.

Moreover, to the OP, Columbia will not give you a shot at top PE shops, Harvard will...so please keep that in mind. But Columbia will get you a job that will make you rich. You will start out at Middle PE or top IB. As for VC, that's a west coast thing as well. Stanford and Berkley students would likely have the best shot. So keep that in mind as well.

I respect your career aspirations but please do some research prior to commiting to an expensive and largely useless degree. Please study the structure of private equity and vc firms. When organizing a fund, the managing partner is vastly more concerned with your personal ability to contribute capital to the fund rather than your knowledge base. When in need of information that will guide a business decision, vc partners just buy their expertise usually from academic faculty for a flat fee. Unless you have capital to contribute, you are not all that attractive to the vc/private equity sector with an MD/MBA combination. Such businesses are far more interested in speaking with people with very specialized expertise concerning the future prospects for a particular drug or medical device that you are unlikely to possess. Good luck with your future decision.

Please do not waste the resources on attending business school. I am a current MS3 who obtained a business degree from a top 20 school. The MBA degree is a sham credential filled with smoke, mirrors, unsubstantiated opinions and tedious examinations of one of a kind situations you will never see in your practice that, after all is said and done, contribute nothing to your skill set. The vast majority of what you will experience in pursuing an MBA is busy work. The only class that had some value was finance. The rest of the "classes" were just thrown together cases and opinions that failed to contribute to a learning process. Most business situations can be negotiated by applying a bit of financial analysis and some common sense to the situation at hand. They do not issue that in b school.

I would agree with this 100%.