MBA grades toward Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

U4iA

εὐφορία
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello... I am working on my MBA then going on to medical school at a different institution. In this case, would any residency programs care about my MBA coursework?

As an extension to that question, once I finish my MBA and then my MD (at different institutions) will anyone ask for my MBA grades in the future?

Sorry for the stupid questions... I'm just curious more than anything else.

Members don't see this ad.

I absolutely disagree. I think your MBA if anything may be neutral, but I do see it at times giving you an edge. I've heard of residency directors, who's departments are in a total fiscal crisis, giving MBA/MD applicants a slight (I do mean slight, because there's much more than grades, boardscores, what not) edge in hopes of you (the md/mba) coming in and help solving their problems. So my point- its not a shoe-in to any program, but it just may help out in the end. Good luck in medical school...

rgarg3

rgarg3 said:
I absolutely disagree. I think your MBA if anything may be neutral, but I do see it at times giving you an edge. I've heard of residency directors, who's departments are in a total fiscal crisis, giving MBA/MD applicants a slight (I do mean slight, because there's much more than grades, boardscores, what not) edge in hopes of you (the md/mba) coming in and help solving their problems. So my point- its not a shoe-in to any program, but it just may help out in the end. Good luck in medical school...

rgarg3

but do you think they would ask to see your transcripts? i would assume so, if they see the MBA degree as an asset..

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly don't know how hard residency directors may look into your records. My suggestion- if you've done well in your MBA program, then submitt your grades along your residency application. Your residency application (similar to medical school apps) describe who you are. Your MBA is a part of you, and there's no shame in bragging about it.. Good luck

rgarg3

rgarg3 said:
I've heard of residency directors, who's departments are in a total fiscal crisis, giving MBA/MD applicants a slight (I do mean slight, because there's much more than grades, boardscores, what not) edge in hopes of you (the md/mba) coming in and help solving their problems.

that's interesting...can you tell us more about this?

My university transcript included both my MD and MBA grades - but only because I did them both at the same school. Residency directors never once asked about the classes that I didn't honor in b-school... but they did ask about the MBA in general all the time. Your individual grades in business school are going to be a lot less important than the fact that you have the extra letters.

if you earned an MBA from a different institution before matriculating into an MD program would you recommend getting a letter from the business school for your residency? If so, from whom? A prof, dean, etc?

Thanks!

Nope - why bother? People who earn other masters or doctoral degrees before med school rarely get letters from those programs (PhDs in the biosciences being the notable exception). Residency programs, IMHO, only care about the medicine.

U4iA said:
Hello... I am working on my MBA then going on to medical school at a different institution. In this case, would any residency programs care about my MBA coursework?

As an extension to that question, once I finish my MBA and then my MD (at different institutions) will anyone ask for my MBA grades in the future?

Sorry for the stupid questions... I'm just curious more than anything else.

Hi, U4iA. Just wondering why you are doing the MD and MBA at 2 different schools...does your MD program not have b-school or vice versa? Or are they in two different countries? (eg. U.S. and canada)

In any case, I think they may or may not ask you for your MBA grades - it will likely depend on what specifically they perceive your long term career interests to be.
:cool:

Hi Xmulder.. No, actually the MD school I plan on going to does offer the dual degree. It was something that I was interested in, but since I applied late in the application cycle I was not accepted. During my interview I was told to reapply if there were not any spots in the class. So I decided I would take this year to earn my MBA (I placed out of all the "foundation" or first year courses because I was a business student as an undergrad and I am going full time).