MBA in Health Care Management after Med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iNcorruptible

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I am currently a third year medical student at the American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
I will be graduating in 2008, and after looking around and hearing about those MD/MBA programs, I became interested in Health Care Management/ Hospital Management and am thinking of getting an MBA before my residency.

I am not sure where to go from here. I read about MD/MBA concurrent programs however they are not available at AUB.

My question: Can anyone direct me to a program/university in the U.S, which has such programs for MDs who just graduated ?

I would appreciate any information/guidance.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Need some more info here.

I suggest you finish your residency before you start looking at a MBA because you are too far along in the process. I've never heard of a school here(America) that will take any student after there 3rd yr into a MD/MBA program.

Also, we need more info. Do you plan on matching in the US, or are you completing a residency in lebanon(or the similiar process over there).

From what I gather, you want a MD and a MBA. You cannot combine them not only because you're too far in the process but also being IMS(international medical student), I don't know if its possible.

Post some more specifics, and some one here will have some answers/suggestions for you.

Actually I intend on completing my MD first, since as you said I'm already too far along the process, then go to the US where I would enroll in an MBA in Health Care Management, during which I would prepare for the match and hopefully be accepted in a residency in the U.S.

The other plan would be to match first, then do the MBA during my residency in the US.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a classmate who got an MD, than went on to get a MBA...but never bothered doing a residency.

If you want to get an MBA, you apply just as if you are fresh out of college. There would be no special process or program for you just because you already have a MD.

Like IceMan said, I would suggest finishing your residency before getting an MBA or else you just wasted your MD. An MD degree has no credibility unless it is backed up by board certification/licensure/experience.

I had a classmate who got an MD, than went on to get a MBA...but never bothered doing a residency.

a few questions for you:

1. what did type of job did he end up getting after finishing his MBA?
2. is he presenting being paid well?
3. does he regret skipping residency?
4. in his case, would he have been any better off completing an internship year and getting licensed?

a few questions for you:

1. what did type of job did he end up getting after finishing his MBA?
2. is he presenting being paid well?
3. does he regret skipping residency?
4. in his case, would he have been any better off completing an internship year and getting licensed?

To be honest, I have no idea... All I know is he is now a financial analyst...

To the OP are you doing your residency here in the US? Maybe you could find a joint degree program (in residency) here in the US. Or are you looking to skip the residency all together?