Feb 18, 2010
Status
Would anyone be able to comment on how helpful it is to do an MBA while in medical school and then pursue ophthalmology ? I'm very interested in both. While I've heard some people say that it's a great thing to do, others say that the MBA may detract from your ophthalmology application? I'm 100% sure that I want to get an MBA in the future. So I don't think I would be wasting my time if I just got one earlier. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

orbitsurgMD

10+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Would anyone be able to comment on how helpful it is to do an MBA while in medical school and then pursue ophthalmology ? I'm very interested in both. While I've heard some people say that it's a great thing to do, others say that the MBA may detract from your ophthalmology application? I'm 100% sure that I want to get an MBA in the future. So I don't think I would be wasting my time if I just got one earlier. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
I doubt it would hurt you, but people will be curious. It isn't unusual for academic doctors to pick up an MPH degree, yet many who do aren't doing public health. As long as wanting an MBA isn't really from ambivalence about practicing clinical medicine, then the extra education certainly won't hurt and you might make the case that it would help. Management knowledge is for most of us an OJT kind of thing. Formal training would be a plus, IMO.

MstaKing10

7+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
can't really see any drawbacks with getting an MBA, only that it may delay your graduation from med school by a year. Otherwise, this is a perfect time to pursue it and I don't think it would adversely affect your ophtho application.

usamsIII

10+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2008
Status
Medical Student
It will definatley help you!
I have an MBA and I just matched into a top 10 program this past January. I can tell you that it was the topic of every one of my conversations...in a positive way. All my interviewers wanted to know about the MBA and how I was planning to use it in the future. They were very impressed with the fact that I had an MBA. It did not raise any issues of me questioning another field. Now with healthcare reform and all of these changes in medicine, it is a great asset to have an MBA. In all honestly, medicine is a business. There is a very large portion of medicine that business, insurance, denials, claims, etc. To speak about these issues and demonstrate your knowledge in these aspects will put you way ahead of the game as it will impress your interviewers...since the business aspect of medicine you learn really only after residency. To have such knowledge in medical school is very unique. I suggest doing a part time mba online where you have the flexibility of taking classes, doing homework and exams at your own time. Only then is an MBA really feasible during medical school. You can try to do most of it during fourth year...but you'll be working your ***** off during fourth year while everyone else is chilling...

MedicalDoctorV

Internal Medicine Hospitalist
10+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2007
NYC
Status
Attending Physician
It will definatley help you!
I have an MBA and I just matched into a top 10 program this past January. I can tell you that it was the topic of every one of my conversations...in a positive way. All my interviewers wanted to know about the MBA and how I was planning to use it in the future. They were very impressed with the fact that I had an MBA. It did not raise any issues of me questioning another field. Now with healthcare reform and all of these changes in medicine, it is a great asset to have an MBA. In all honestly, medicine is a business. There is a very large portion of medicine that business, insurance, denials, claims, etc. To speak about these issues and demonstrate your knowledge in these aspects will put you way ahead of the game as it will impress your interviewers...since the business aspect of medicine you learn really only after residency. To have such knowledge in medical school is very unique. I suggest doing a part time mba online where you have the flexibility of taking classes, doing homework and exams at your own time. Only then is an MBA really feasible during medical school. You can try to do most of it during fourth year...but you'll be working your ***** off during fourth year while everyone else is chilling...
I agree, wish I had gotten one. Once you're in residency and ever-after it just seems like an implausible task.

DOCTORSAIB

Ophtho or bust!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2000
Baltimore, MD
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
While I agree that having a MBA gives you great knowledge, you should really ask yourself WHY you want one.

If you plan on using it to land some type of administrative/consulting job 10 years from now, I'd recommend you do your MBA during residency (kinda difficult but certainly possible) or after your training is finished. Most people in the healthcare business will tell you that a MBA degree has an expiration date.

Your clinical experience is really what most consulting firms are after. The MBA is just the icing on the cake.