MBA vs Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MBA or fellowship?

• Top 3 MBA

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Fellowship

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Fellowship now, MBA down the road

Votes: 13 40.6%

• Total voters
Oversimplified! If you have that exit strategy, then be prepared to start at the same level as a new grad in any of those entities. None of those entities including the govt will give you a position just because you have an MBA. Most will want something more tangible.

Btw, I met my first medicine to device rep doctor. Let me put it this way, he prefers residency.

Who said you start as a partner?

They start as an associate making approxmately 200K or so (significant pay cut from anesthesiologist initially). If sucessful, at 2-3 years they are up to 400K-500K at senior levels.

Principals/Partners make into the millions or have exit ops.

Exit ops include VPs of BC/BS. Maybe you should look up salaries of BC/BS senior VPs (about 20 in each state just for BC). They are in the million plus range.

Who do you think gets these positions? Oh yeah often ex Mckinsey/boston consultants with a few years experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Who said you start as a partner?

They start as an associate making approxmately 200K or so (significant pay cut from anesthesiologist initially). If sucessful, at 2-3 years they are up to 400K-500K at senior levels.

Principals/Partners make into the millions or have exit ops.

Exit ops include VPs of BC/BS. Maybe you should look up salaries of BC/BS senior VPs (about 20 in each state just for BC). They are in the million plus range.

Who do you think gets these positions? Oh yeah often ex Mckinsey/boston consultants with a few years experience.

I like how you paint a picture with mostly an upside. You ever wonder what happens to those that can't cut it? You ever wonder what percentage can't cut it? Honestly, there are a lot of these "I am doctor therefore I can get into top MBA program and conquer the world" threads where all this stuff has been beaten to death. If someone wants to spend their time chasing an MBA with a plan of going to work for McKinsey, I am happy for them. More anesthesia for me :)

I like how you paint a picture with mostly an upside. You ever wonder what happens to those that can't cut it? You ever wonder what percentage can't cut it? Honestly, there are a lot of these "I am doctor therefore I can get into top MBA program and conquer the world" threads where all this stuff has been beaten to death. If someone wants to spend their time chasing an MBA with a plan of going to work for McKinsey, I am happy for them. More anesthesia for me :)

Healthcare company executives, banking executives making millions per year.. its sad but true... agree with everything thats been said here, but as a country i think we need to analyze why these people make so much money, and what can we do to stop them making so much money. In reality I bet any one of us can do that desk jockey job, could we actually get there? with all the luck and hurdles and clubs? thats another story.. But these people making these huge million plus salaries needs to stop. They work for a company that provides services to the people, services that in other countries are free and public, why should they be allowed to pocket so much? We shouldnt aspire to be these people we should shine light on them and make their salaries more reasonable and fair. ..

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Yeah so then why the fight about it? Let them chase what they want.

You should worry more about the CRNAs who are looking to slit your throat that the MD that wants to get an MBA to get into the business side of things TBH.

Healthcare company executives, banking executives making millions per year.. its sad but true... agree with everything thats been said here, but as a country i think we need to analyze why these people make so much money, and what can we do to stop them making so much money. In reality I bet any one of us can do that desk jockey job, could we actually get there? with all the luck and hurdles and clubs? thats another story.. But these people making these huge million plus salaries needs to stop. They work for a company that provides services to the people, services that in other countries are free and public, why should they be allowed to pocket so much? We shouldnt aspire to be these people we should shine light on them and make their salaries more reasonable and fair. ..

Very simple why they make so much money.

Its called lobbyists that control the government. Remember Romney started Bain Capital and Hillary takes money from these people.

They will argue the same thing about "physician" salaries as well.

In fact they are, hence the Lewin group that wants to replace Anesthesiologist with CRNAs and take the profit.

Hillary Clinton plus CRNA lobbies with PE/consultant money/hospital admin lobbies= you won't be able to do crap to stop it.

I guess those md mbas that sell out are smart if Hillary gets in.

Last edited:
Which is why it's such an idiotic idea. Most anesthesiologists, no matter how god-like they portray themselves on SDN, aren't going to secure a "top" MBA position. If they somehow do, and somehow excel in their program, and then somehow manage to get "top" connections for "top" positions (a stretch since most anesthesiologists are social misfits), are they actually going to make as much as or more than they currently make?

Listen up people.

Consigliere is telling you that anesthesiology is a better gig than these pie-in-sky MBA fantasies.

Consigliere is telling you that anesthesiology is a better gig. :)

Reactions: 6 users
Listen up people.

Consigliere is telling you that anesthesiology is a better gig than these pie-in-sky MBA fantasies.

Consigliere is telling you that anesthesiology is a better gig. :)

Guess all the people voting are pretty dumb too. They support fellowship then MBA then followed by MBA.

I agree though. For the average socially inept anesthesiologist, they should stick with medicine.

Yeah, an SDN poll with a sample size around 20 is a great foundation for planning one's career path. ;)

We've been having this i-banker/MBA/entrepreneur/woulda/coulda/shoulda conversation in one form or another every few months for about 10 years now, maybe longer. Perhaps a bit of a lull during the late 2000s-ish boom era.

I'm still waiting for the first person to come back and bump one of those threads with an "hey guys, I did it, I'm an Associate Assistant Helper VP of XYZ HMO making more than I ever did as an anesthesiologist ... so glad I got that MBA." Maybe this thread will be the first. Good luck guys! I'm going to go sit a stool like a chump.

Reactions: 4 users
I may have said this above (or maybe it was another thread), but if you think job security is a problem as a physician, you'd be terrified of the world of business at large. My friends in typical MBA fields are always, always looking over their back and would kill for job security we enjoy.

Reactions: 1 users

Clueless people say the same thing about anesthesiologists. "Overpaid, it's not that hard, make less in other countries, don't deserve $500k, let's put a stop to it, blah blah blah." I tell them to go to medical school and try it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Guess all the people voting are pretty dumb too. They support fellowship then MBA then followed by MBA.

I agree though. For the average socially inept anesthesiologist, they should stick with medicine.

Please, please do NOT consider an n=25 to reflect an adequate sample size.

Yeah, an SDN poll with a sample size around 20 is a great foundation for planning one's career path. ;)

We've been having this i-banker/MBA/entrepreneur/woulda/coulda/shoulda conversation in one form or another every few months for about 10 years now, maybe longer. Perhaps a bit of a lull during the late 2000s-ish boom era.

I'm still waiting for the first person to come back and bump one of those threads with an "hey guys, I did it, I'm an Associate Assistant Helper VP of XYZ HMO making more than I ever did as an anesthesiologist ... so glad I got that MBA." Maybe this thread will be the first. Good luck guys! I'm going to go sit a stool like a chump.

lol funny quote.

So then you shouldn't worry about it since you are very happy as an Anesthesiologist and have no concerns about getting an MBA.

The thread appeared to be by someone who appeared interested in an MBA, so I guess for him its an interesting topic.

Please, please do NOT consider an n=25 to reflect an adequate sample size.

Never said otherwise, just as I don't take the opinion of a few random anesthesiologists who have no clue about how top level MBAs work as gospel either. When someone says stuff like "you can learn business on your own, why get an MBA to run a practice", I can't take this seriously.

I don't think anyone goes to a top level MBA to just "run their practice" or even to only become their own hospital admin (get MBA from anywhere for that part time).

I have formulated my ideas from real world knowledge and research on the subject.

Never said otherwise, just as I don't take the opinion of a few random anesthesiologists who have no clue about how top level MBAs work as gospel either. When someone says stuff like "you can learn business on your own, why get an MBA to run a practice", I can't take this seriously.

I don't think anyone goes to a top level MBA to just "run their practice" or even to only become their own hospital admin (get MBA from anywhere for that part time).

I have formulated my ideas from real world knowledge and research on the subject.

Speaking of "a few random anesthesiologists who have no clue about how top level MBAs work...":rolleyes: