mbbs to md

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fuegorama

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all-
1st time posting in this part of the forum.
I am a 3rd year DO student. My current attending is a rock-star doc who received a MBBS in India during the 80s. He proceeded through a residency in that country then came to the US 15 years later. He then did 2 years of what amounted to volunteer time in a facility here then completed an additional residency.

On his wall he has his initial MBBS diploma, then a certificate from his volunteer program w/his name followed by M.D. He also has his American Board of Medical Specialties diplomate certificate with his name and "M.D., MBBS". This last sheepskinny looking thing is dated most recently.

My questions are-
How does the MBBS convert to the M.D.?
What is the testing regime?
Who confers the M.D.?
Is there a site you folks could direct me to that would provide this info?

I did a search and struck out.

I would like to ask my attending, but I feel like it might be offensive. Silly? Probably, but this guy really is a master in his field and I don't want to p iss off someone I admire.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

fuegorama said:
Hey y'all-
I am a 3rd year DO student. My current attending is a rock-star doc who received a MBBS in India during the 80s. He proceeded through a residency in that country then came to the US 15 years later. He then did 2 years of what amounted to volunteer time in a facility here then completed an additional residency.

On his wall he has his initial MBBS diploma, then a certificate from his volunteer program w/his name followed by M.D. He also has his American Board of Medical Specialties diplomate certificate with his name and "M.D., MBBS". This last sheepskinny looking thing is dated most recently.

My questions are-
Who confers the M.D.?

I would like to ask my attending, but I feel like it might be offensive. Silly? Probably, but this guy really is a master in his field and I don't want to p iss off someone I admire.
Thanks.

once one gets licensed as a medical doctor by a state the MD automatically comes after his/her name. there is no special exam, most basic medical degrees are recognized as being equivalent to the MD.

hope this helps.

fuegorama said:

My questions are-
Who confers the M.D.?

MBBS and MD are both equivilant allopathic medical degrees.

He should have one or the other.. listed behind his name.. either MBBS or MD. but probably not both. That's kind of silly anyhow.. would be like sayin Dr. bob MD, MD.
Once foreign docs with allopathic medical degrees get a US medical license, then most hospitals and US boards put the MD after their name just for uniformity sake.
it really doesnt matter, its the same thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
OzDDS said:
MBBS and MD are both equivilant allopathic medical degrees.

He should have one or the other.. listed behind his name.. either MBBS or MD. but probably not both. That's kind of silly anyhow.. would be like sayin Dr. bob MD, MD.
Once foreign docs with allopathic medical degrees get a US medical license, then most hospitals and US boards put the MD after their name just for uniformity sake.
it really doesnt matter, its the same thing.

actually i know a DR. X MD MD, he graduated from a US school and has an MD and he also got an MD (research degree) in the UK i think.....

In the UK the MD is probably the equivalent of the US M.D., PhD.

Except for some foreign trained docs who are proud to have the MBBS/MBChB behind their name and specificially insist on having it on their shingle, everybody kind of gets lumped in with the M.D. title.

Once you have a medical license, you can safely advertise yourself as MD, even if your medical school diploma doesn't list any title at all (as does mine, where I come from graduation from medical school doesn't come with a title, getting a medical registration with the state does).

f_w said:
In the UK the MD is probably the equivalent of the US M.D., PhD.

Except for some foreign trained docs who are proud to have the MBBS/MBChB behind their name and specificially insist on having it on their shingle, everybody kind of gets lumped in with the M.D. title.

Once you have a medical license, you can safely advertise yourself as MD, even if your medical school diploma doesn't list any title at all (as does mine, where I come from graduation from medical school doesn't come with a title, getting a medical registration with the state does).
In the U.K., the M.D. degree is a two-year research degree for physicians with the MBBS, MBChB, BM BS, MB Chir (all meaning allopathic medical doctor) degree. A Ph.D. takes longer....

there are always so many posts about this MD/Mbbs thing. Who cares about those letters anyway. The only letters i care about are FRCS/FRCP (or FACS/P for my American pals) once you have those 4 letters after your name you really are the man now dog!

In the U.K., the M.D. degree is a two-year research degree for physicians with the MBBS, MBChB, BM BS, MB Chir (all meaning allopathic medical doctor) degree. A Ph.D. takes longer....

Hence the 'probably equivalent. The M.D./PhD. is not quite the same as a pure PhD either.

fuegorama said:
Hey y'all-

My questions are-
Who confers the M.D.?

Thanks.

In India is MBBS is basic medical degree. when you go on to complete three years of residency and a dissertation in General medicine (Internal medicine) or any other allied medical speciality like dermatology, you are conferred a MD - as its the case with your attending I guess; and if do the same in general surgery of allied surgical speciality you get a MS. In India, DM and MCh are superspeciality degrees in medical and surgical specialities respectively.

Don't pay too much attention to degrees, as they can be utterly confusing. In the UK, they can't even agree on what to call a homegrown physician (MBBS, MBchB, et al). In Germany, you can get a "dr. med." with pretty little effort post medical school, while that exact same title in Denmark and Norway is considered one of the toughest academic degrees to get in the world. (thus referring to the PhD in those countries as the "small doctorate").

Honestly, I think the idea of calling everybody (except the osteos of course) an MD makes sense, although it'll probably be seen as imperialistic to some. But hey, it underscores the point that a physician with a valid license is a bona fide physician, regardless of weather that person graduated from Stanford or Wallaballoo Outback School of Medicine.

PathOne said:
Don't pay too much attention to degrees, as they can be utterly confusing. In the UK, they can't even agree on what to call a homegrown physician (MBBS, MBchB, et al).

They are the same degree: Bachelor of medicine bachelor of surgery.. one just happens to use the latin form of the word surgery (Chirugiae).

If you attend dental school in the US, you could also either recieved a DDS or a DMD depending on what school you attended too.

PathOne said:
Honestly, I think the idea of calling everybody (except the osteos of course) an MD makes sense, although it'll probably be seen as imperialistic to some. But hey, it underscores the point that a physician with a valid license is a bona fide physician, regardless of weather that person graduated from Stanford or Wallaballoo Outback School of Medicine.

Hey.. What's with the negative australian undertones :D Is that where chase from "House" went to med school?

What about just calling all physicians MBBS instead? That would make just as much sense or more actually seeing as it is the first degree you earn in the field of "medicine". Wouldn't it more correctly be called a bachelor than a Doctor? :)

I agree with you though.. as long as they attended an allopathic medical school and have passed all licensure examinations for whatever location they are practicing... then you shouldn't pay too much attention what the title of their degree is. :thumbup:

Similar Previous Thread

MBBS is obviously a bachelor degree. I think they can be called "Doctor", but not MD. More and more IMGs now are proudly calling themselves MBBS instead of MDs. Everyone in the hospitals know they can treat patients/write orders. They do not have to have a "MD" nametag with them.

TaiShan said:
I think they can be called "Doctor", but not MD. More and more IMGs now are proudly calling themselves MBBS instead of MDs. Everyone in the hospitals know they can treat patients/write orders. They do not have to have a "MD" nametag with them.

I would have no problem displaying my MBBS if I obtained one.. but I think they should also be able to display themselves as an MD if they wish.

PHY-993
Use of the M. D. Title: The Wisconsin Medical Society: 1) defends the use of the M.D. title by physicians who graduated with an M.B.B.S. and are licensed to practice medicine in Wisconsin; and, 2) believes in clarifying Wisconsin statute so that International Medical Graduates licensed to practice as medical doctors can use the title M.D. (HOD,0495)

They are both equivilent allopathic medical degrees. MD = MBBS

For licensing purposes, they are the same thing! :thumbup: