MBBS to MD

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by The Pill Counter, Apr 30, 2002.

1. The Pill Counter

The Pill Counter Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    For foreign grads practicing in the States who qualified with a MBBS, MBChB, BM, or BMBS or whatever, are you allowed to use the title MD after your name? If so, is it the ECFMG certification that grants you that privilege? Or is it the residency training? Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. WaZoBia

WaZoBia Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

i'm not too sure about this but i remember reading somewhere that medical doctors in NY were allowed(regardless of whether or not their degree was MD) to place the MD title after their names. i think the state medical board is the body responsible for this.
    i think it's the same in all other states- can you imagine the confusion there'd be if IMG's were forced to retain the letters MBChB, MBBS, BMBS...after their names, people wouldn't know where to go to get a doctor.

4. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You ARE allowed to use MD after your name except in the cases of documents which require you to state the degree received. ECFMG certification and/or residency does not confer this "priviledge" its simply done for ease of communication and has been approved (although I cannot quote you the source).

5. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    BTW, the above is true in all states, not just NY.

6. Catherine

Catherine Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Out of curiosity; what, if anything, prevents a US trained DO from using the title MD?

7. The Pill Counter

The Pill Counter Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    In Commonwealth countries, medicine is an undergraduate degree, so MBBS is Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery. Regardless, the MBBS or MD are primary medical qualifications. Osteopaths, though practicing physicians, don't share the same qualification. To be honest, I can't think of any other country besides the US where osteopathic medicine is practiced where its practitioners have full medical authority.

8. seth2000

seth2000 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Catherine,
    the law prevents DOs from putting the MD after their names. Physicians who have the degree (MBBS,BMBS,MBChB,etc.) are allowed to carry the title MD, but DOs are not. This was allowed so that patients don't get confused with the numerous degrees. The American Medical Association actually wanted DOs to carry the title MD and join the AMA. The American Osteopathic Association made it illegal for DOs to carry the MD title because they didn't want osteopaths jumping ship on a mass scale. The AOA wants osteopaths to carry the title DO proudly (which they should). I don't know why everyone cares about their suffix so much---a doctor is a doctor.
    I hope this has clarified things for you. If anyone knows more information or knows that I have something incorrect, please post a reply.
    -seth