MCAT 17M & 3.4 GPA with Research and Tons of Healthcare Experience ..Any Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CLStoDPM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
While I am retaking the MCAT in January, I do not want to wait until January to submit my applications. I know my MCAT score is a joke, and speaks poorly of myself as an applicant to any podiatry program. I was scoring 21-24 on my AAMC practice exams. However, my girlfriend dumped me a few days before I took the test. As many of you know, the MCAT is a critical thinking exam. Unfortunately, the only thing I could think critically toward at the time was my life and the drama that encompassed my former state of affairs. With the exception of my MCAT score, my application is solid:

PROS
*B.S. in Medical Technology
*GPA (Cum) =3.4
*GPA (Science) =3.4
*One year internship within the VA System's clinical laboratory
*Microbiology Research as an undergraduate
*3 Years experience as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist
*Member of the American Society of Clinical Pathologist
*Volunteer Chemistry Tutor and Mentor
*SGA
*I have shadowed Podiatry, Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, and Pathology

CON
MCAT: PS=7 BS=6 VR=4
*Retaking in January

The two schools I am most interested in are Temple and Samuel Merritt. Believe me; I know I have to bring my MCAT score up, and have no doubt that I will do this. However, I am wondering if I should even bother applying before I actually improve my score? Will I even be taken serious?

Members don't see this ad.

My advice would be to just call the schools themselves and ask them what would be best. Most admissions departments will be pretty frank with you if you call and talk to them directly, they'll tell you what you should and shouldn't do at this point.

They will not take a verbal mcat <5. They may take your app, but will not interview you without a better mcat score. The mcat ave last year was a 23-24, says the admissions office. Samuel meritt's website says a mcat min of 16, but who knows what their accepted mcat ave is. I would guess it is at least a 20 or 21. I would wait before I apply. Get those scores and apply. If you bring that mcat score >21 +your 3.4 GPA = great shot of late admissions cycle to almost any school. If not, apply early next cycle. Also, NYCPOM has a january start class, but your mcat at this point is to low to even bother applying with. Good luck!

PS: instead of cramming for january, I would take a prep class if you have the cash. Hard to see a 17 turning into a +21 w/o a change in something (either stop working and focus for 3 months on mcat or something)