MCAT 2015 effect on prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gulliver Dark

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most of my posts seem to be about a similar topic, and for that I apologize. It is at least a new question on the same topic.

As I'm prepping to... prep... for the MCAT, I am wondering if I need to take sociology and psychology classes. It seems that the classes I take likely wouldn't be aligned with the actual MCAT material, and I could skip the classes and do self study for those sections. Considering I still need to finish up biochem and another biology class to fill in the TMDSAS requirements, I wouldn't mind a lighter load. I am aiming for an April-May 2016 MCAT because of the early TMDSAS start. I plan to apply very, very broadly, MD and DO, and so don't limit any thoughts on this to Texas only.

I just don't want to shoot myself in the foot if schools are starting to require psych/sociology as a prereq. I took psychology about a decade ago, but remember little, probably got a B, and doubt taking it a decade ago would help me now.

So, have there been any rumors about schools changing prereqs to match the new MCAT? Specifically for the 2016-2017 application cycle. If I don't need them to apply, I will probably skip them - unless anyone has any specific advice about the new MCAT contrary to that.

Two other somewhat related questions:

Any thoughts on Genetics vs. Anatomy and Physiology as the final bio class to round out 14 credits for TMDSAS requirements? I currently have a 4.0 in prereqs (not so pretty in my first 60-80 credits, almost a 4.0 in the 100 credits since, and since I turned 23... I was an idiot at 18), so I don't think rigor would cause me too much trouble, but a lighter load while I study for the MCAT would be nice, as I also work full time. This information also applies for the next question..

UTSW doesn't list biochem as fulfilling part of the 14 credits in bio, unlike every other TMDSAS school. Should I take TWO classes prior to applying (Genetics and A&P or two semesters of A&P?) ? A lighter load would be helpful, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot, considering UTSW is local to me and such a great school. I don't think I have a huge chance at UTSW because of my 18 year old stupidity hurting my 28 year old endeavors, but it would be a "dream school."

Just for full disclosure, all classes for prereqs have and will be taken at a community college, except biochem which will either be at UTArlington or UNECOM, depending on if I can get UTA to let me take the course this fall.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd advise checking the websites of schools you're interested in, or the MSAR (for MD). They will specify their pre-req requirements, and the MSAR has handy charts that show whether they accept community college and/or online credit (some do not). This cycle I've encountered quite a few that want to see X credits of humanities or social science, for which they allow classes from various disciplines. Each school is different, so start checking on them early.

I'm unfamiliar with TMDSAS so unfortunately can't help with you the last part.

Reactions: 1 user
I had several 30+ mcat friends with no a&p background. I had 4 genetics related passages on my first mcat. I highly recommend genetics for mcat purposes, but have a working knowledge of organ systems. As for your first question, most in the mcat section agree psych is the easiest section and studying prep books is enough.

Btw, you need a study partner?

Thanks guys. Sure! I'm heading out on vacation in the morning, but I'm back Sunday. PM me an email or phone number.