MCAT 2015 Prep Materials?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ekaingm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. So I'm considering buying the EK (9th ed.) books for Bio/Biochem and Psych/Soc. As for the rest of the subjects, I plan on using the old books. What do you all suggest are the most helpful books for each of these subjects?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For the rest, Berkeley Review. It might be helpful to get BR Bio as well for extra detail and diagrams as well, but that is up to you. I have found EK Bio to be great for a concise review of what will be on the test and BR to be overly detailed, but at the same time extremely helpful when I am struggling with a topic.

Reactions: 1 user
I am currently registered for a Kaplan Mcat on site prep course that starts in May; however, I am hesitant about proceeding with this plan because I fear that this course would expose me mostly to kaplan practice exams granted that there is only one AAMC full length exam available in turn limit my practice. Thus, I am thinking about canceling my registration and using the refund to buy a variety of prep material and practice in an effort to broaden my exposure.
I would really appreciate it an advice.

I suggest doing a tpr course. I think their practice passages are way better and more helpful during preparations. I took the Kaplan course when I took the mcat in jan and I didn't do so well. Was it strictly because of the course? Absolutely not. I didn't put the appropriate effort into it. However, through my post bacc they put me in a tpr course and I've noticed that the way they teach and the workbooks/ resources they offer is far better than Kaplan. If you choose to not do any prep course I would at least suggest get tpr's science workbook and verbal workbook. And then use whatever resource you're most comfortable with as content review.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest doing a tpr course. I think their practice passages are way better and more helpful during preparations. I took the Kaplan course when I took the mcat in jan and I didn't do so well. Was it strictly because of the course? Absolutely not. I didn't put the appropriate effort into it. However, through my post bacc they put me in a tpr course and I've noticed that the way they teach and the workbooks/ resources they offer is far better than Kaplan. If you choose to not do any prep course I would at least suggest get tpr's science workbook and verbal workbook. And then use whatever resource you're most comfortable with as content review.
and following this advice, there is a new science workbook for TPR's 2015, though I suspect it will be very hard for you to find.

But I am using: EK1001, BR, TPR(content), TPRSW, TPR exams

Sorry to hijack your topic, but I didn't want to create a new thread about the same topic.

For the TPR Hyperlearning Science Workbook, is the 2015 one absolutely necessary? The price between that 2015 one and the last edition is unreal.

Sorry to hijack your topic, but I didn't want to create a new thread about the same topic.

For the TPR Hyperlearning Science Workbook, is the 2015 one absolutely necessary? The price between that 2015 one and the last edition is unreal.
They probably added/removed a few passages. Think about it, they barley changed their prep books (and released it super quick), doubt there would be any significant changes with the older version......

Reactions: 1 user
For the rest, Berkeley Review. It might be helpful to get BR Bio as well for extra detail and diagrams as well, but that is up to you. I have found EK Bio to be great for a concise review of what will be on the test and BR to be overly detailed, but at the same time extremely helpful when I am struggling with a topic.

Do you think that the old BR Bio book is good enough for the new MCAT? Also, would it be worth it to buy the BR Bio book if I already have TPR Bio book (as part of the set) for additional review? I haven't taken much bio since high school so I'm looking for a book that will be pretty in depth, and what I've read on these forums so far suggests that the BR books are quite in depth, yes?

(Also, sorry for getting slightly off topic, but I figured this could be helpful to anyone in this thread)