Mcat 45 - kaplan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stillpremed

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi yall,
does anyone have any opinions on the MCAT 45 passages? They are supposed to be harder questoins. Has anyone found them of any use for studying? Are they like the harder passages on the MCAT? Any recommendations?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It's certainly Kaplan's best product. If you feel you have reached a plateau with the regular BR, EK, TPR material and just want to stay busy, then plunk down the 25.00 for the Kaplan45 book. There aren't really enough passages to make it really valuable, but some of the science passages are quality. Of course, the Verbal passages are *still* too easy. It really says something about Kaplan when their Kaplan45 book contains verbal passages that are too easy. Michael

thanks for the reply meanderson - can i ask you one more question. how do you tackle the verbal material besides just practice practice practice? would you recommend the 101 EK

still,

Even though you asked for mr. anderson, i think i can handle this one...and since its good to get differing opinions, i would be the perfect person since mr. anderson and I seem to disagree on quite a few issues.

Anyways:

I would definately urge you to purchase the 101 VR book from EK. First, I have never heard one complaint about it (other than people wanting to argue some of the answer choices...but this will happen with any verbal book). Second, from what I have learned on this board and experienced, I think it is the most accurate representation of AAMC verbal stuff out there. It really captures the ambiguity of the MCAT voice. This is the only book I suggest to anyone they buy...even if you are scoring 14s on AAMC stuff...I would think it is still worth the money. Check out bamn.com or some other discount retailer to get it cheap.

Good luck.

BDF

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. Even though me and BDF disagree on a few things concerning the mcat, we seem to be in agreement on the quality of EK verbal passages. Simply put, EK verbal 101 is a must!! anyone who is serious about scoring 11+ on verbal buys this book. Michael