MCAT advice for possible reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StarsHallow

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

A little background: I applied this past cycle, and was fortunate enough to receive 3 MD II. 2 were for my state schools and both resulted in wait-lists. I have an interview coming up, however they wait-list many of their OOS applicants. I still haven't heard from about 15 schools (all mid and low-tier) and am on hold at three other schools. I was complete around labor day weekend so I'm not too sure about the silence at this point. However, I am planning for a reapplication cycle and want to start putting some of my energy towards that.

While I understand it's difficult to gauge your own interview performance, I believe I had a very good interview at one of the state schools (the other one, which was a MMI, I knew I seriously messed up) . However, prior to the application cycle, I had talked to the admissions office and they had informed me that while it is likely I will get an interview I may not get my foot through the door because my MCAT score was not competitive. I got a 510 on the MCAT (127/127/127/129). This is my only score and I am an ORM. I never considered retaking it prior to this point because I've been told numerous times that it would be silly to. I just wanted to some advice/insight on whether retaking it would be a good idea from others?

Other Stats: I graduated with a 3.8 cGPA/3.7 sGPA last May. I thought I had good but not GREAT ECs (about 400 hours of volunteering, I've worked as a scribe and tech, some research experience, President of an organization, shadowing, etc). I have a committee letter from my school's health professions office and thought I had strong LORs.

Thank you in advance! Really appreciate any advice as I want to be the possible re-applicant I can be.

Members don't see this ad.

510 is competitive. Don't retake unless it's going to expire.

Reactions: 4 users
You'd be foolish to retake a 510.
What is that, 85th %ile?

Unless your score is expiring soon then don't retake. Its a decent score and not worth the risk of a retake with lower score

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You'd be foolish to retake a 510.
What is that, 85th %ile?

Unless your score is expiring soon then don't retake. Its a decent score and not worth the risk of a retake with lower score
Ayyyy, there's my banana!

Reactions: 1 users
Don't retake. Build up other aspects of your app. Don't give up hope though, remember that almost half of all matriculants only hade one acceptance which suggests that a large number of matriculants came off the waitlist. It ain't over until it's over, I know numerous people who got off waitlists around May.

Reactions: 1 users
yeah it's a little difficult because I don't think the schools that I've been wait-listed at have had much movement historically, thanks for your encouraging words though @AnatomyGrey12

Thank you everyone else for your advice! sort of figured that it wouldn't make sense to retake it but I needed affirmation

Reactions: 1 user
I think it's definitely tempting to want to retake the MCAT again, but I agree with other posters and I personally would not do it. Unless you feel like you were really off your game when you took the test and you feel that you have ample time to devote to studying (aka it is the ONLY thing you would do for the next 3-4 months), I really don't think it's worth it. There is still a chance you will hear back from some schools, and you might even get off the waitlist. Continue participating in your ECs and good luck with the rest of the cycle! :)

I am on the fence here with this, but as the OP had a school tell him/her his 510 was not competitive, especially as an ORM, which are an over-represented demographic in medical school admissions, it may be a risk the he/she needs to take. So if the OP can prep and improve significantly (5-6 point minimum), it will be worth it. The risk, of course as was stated above, a similar score or worse a lower school will be like an anchor.

The one good thing is that a decision does not to may now. That is, start prepping now, and buy an early MCAT seat. If the OP does not feel the level of confidence, he/she can cancel. So it is an option that should remain open but should not be the only path considered

It would be interesting to know which school said that, seeing as a 510 is right about the matriculant average.

What state are you from OP? If you are from Cali, Wash, Mass you are probably 1 point below the Median Matriculant LizzyMwise in which case it would be slightly harder to get an acceptance. But i dont think it has anything to do with you being an ORM since the ORM and Median Acceptee MCATs differ by less then half a point.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your advice! I'm leaning towards not retaking it because I genuinely thought I prepared well for it. The only thing is that I felt rushed during the science sections, even though I thought I had addressed this prior to taking the exam.

Yes I agree @Goro I need to work on my interview skills. Regarding having a better school list this was my list this year:

GW (pre-II hold)
NYMC (pre-II hold)
Penn state (pre-II hold)
NJMS (wait-list)
RWJ (wait-list)
WVU (upcoming interview)
NYU (rejected)
Wake Forest (rejected)
Georgetown (rejected)

I haven't heard from the following:

Tufts
Drexel
University of Vermont
Temple
UMiami
TCMC
VCU
Rosalind Franklin
Quinnipiac
St. Louis
EVMS
Loyola
Jefferson
Cooper
Oakland
Albany
Brown

I'm debating if I should send in a pre-II updates. However, the only thing I am currently doing that I did not mention in the primary/secondary is a new non-clinical volunteer activity since the end of September.