MCAT Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tbachi

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently found out that the 2001 April MCAT is scheduled for April 21st. I am in a wedding that day so therefore I have to wait until August (just before I start my senior year) to take the exam. Will this hurt my chances of being interviewed if my applications are not complete until they recieve the scores? I have heard that it is better to wait until next August to take the test after I have had all the pre-med classes. As of now I am only lacking one biology lab and the second semester of physics. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

------------------
Bachi

Members don't see this ad.

The biology lab may not be such a big deal, but I personally think that the second part of physics (provided it is taught well) is VERY helpful for the MCAT, especially if you decide not to take review classes.

My personal experience was that taking the August MCAT was not detrimental. I waited because I was taking physics that summer, and actually felt I needed more time before the exam because there was still a week of physics left AFTER the MCAT. The more physics I could have taken the better off I would have been (physical sciences was my weakest area). My scores did not come until mid-October but I got some secondaries before the scores came out and the rest shortly afterward. I had two interviews in November, two in December, one in January, and one in February. I got my first acceptance December 5. All-in-all I had six interviews, four acceptances, and two wait-lists with four rejects/no interview. I would say I was a solid candidate--I had good stats and experiences--but nothing totally amazing. I probably would have gotten a few more interviews and perhaps an earlier acceptance, but overall I don't think it made a difference. The only instance in which waiting until August might make a difference is if you are a borderline candidate. By October/November all the applications are in and it is harder for an average candidate to stand out, even if the applicant has something unique. If, however, you have a solid application you should be just fine. Plus, think of all that extra time you'll have to study so you can ACE the exam. Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Snoopy,
What do you consider as a solid candidate? Right now I have a 3.75 GPA, was accepted into a competitive internship on campus last semester, volunteer, very active on campus, council member of my sorority, planning to start research next spring... etc

------------------
Bachi

Whoa baby,

Are you single too? Hubba Hubba.
I'm teasing (sorta), but from what I can see you have a very competitive background. If only you had a picture...

Take Care,
W.

Originally posted by tbachi:
Snoopy,
What do you consider as a solid candidate? Right now I have a 3.75 GPA, was accepted into a competitive internship on campus last semester, volunteer, very active on campus, council member of my sorority, planning to start research next spring... etc

Yes, you sound like a strong candidate. An MCAT score of >30 should confirm that, no matter when you take it. I sent you an email to the address listed in your profile which gives a more personal answer to your questions.