MCAT after 1st year at university?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EagerYoungPremed

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm planning out my college courses right now. I'm dual enrolled at a 2 year college and will receive an A.A when I graduate in 2020. I will have done Physics 1, gen bio 1+2, gen chem 1(AP),gen chem 2,sociology and a few psychology classes. I will most likely do orgo, biochem, and finish physics in the first year in my local state university after I graduate high school. Will taking the MCAT after my first year be too early since I plan to take 3 years to finish my bio major?

Members don't see this ad.

Slow down.... The only real benefit of taking the MCAT early is that you’ll have more time to prepare for a retake if you bomb it the first time. The MCAT is a test you want to only take once for so many reasons. Just take it later like everyone else.

Reactions: 5 users
Slow down.... The only real benefit of taking the MCAT early is that you’ll have more time to prepare for a retake if you bomb it the first time. The MCAT is a test you want to only take once for so many reasons. Just take it later like everyone else.

Excellent point.

Another point I want to add is that your score expires after 3 years so even if you do well, you’re heavily risking a retake if you fail to get into med school the first time.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It will expire before you graduate

You should take it the year before you graduate or, if you want to take a gap year (which is in my opinion, preferable), take it the year you graduate sometime April-July.

As Puahate astutely pointed out, if you take it as early as you're suggesting, it'll expire by the time you apply.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with the other commenters that I wouldnt take it after your first year. I had a friend who came in with a lot of AP credit and finished her prereqs sophomore year, then took the MCAT the summer between Sophomore and Junior year and that worked out great, I wouldnt take it any earlier than that, no need to take so early and might expire

You'd also be missing out on upper level science classes. At least for me, upper level classes helped me in being able to interpret scientific data which is an important skill for basically every section except CARS.

The MCAT is less of a knowledge-based test and more of an application/reasoning-based test. You still have to have knowledge - that's what the pre-reqs get you - but that won't get you a high score. You'll need to be able to use that knowledge to reason through problems. These critical reasoning skills are what you get from taking upper-level science courses.

@Melchizedek Are you talking about me lmao?
@saradocMD That's kind of what I meant since I'll be entering undergrad as a sophomore. I'll follow @aldol16 advice and do it in the beginning of summer after my junior year where I'll take upper levels. I will probably apply to med school also.

OP, aren't you the kid who created the "4.0 premed club" thread?

Calm the **** down and enjoy your life, join some organizations, and get some hobbies. A 99th percentile MCAT score means nothing if you're also 99th percentile in awkwardness.

Med schools aren't going anywhere, there's no rush.

Reactions: 1 users
@Biochemistry People are different man. I'm involved in a few EC's and volunteering for high school. Never said I'm awkward. I'm doing premed courses soon and I like planning out my future.