MCAT After Sophomore and then...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Silverfalcon

Do It
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After the upcoming Spring Semester, I will be done with following prerequisites:
General Biology I & II
Organic Chemistry I & II
Honors Composition & Introduction to Literature (1 year of English)
General Chemistry I & II
Introductory Physics I & II

The only requirement that I will not have completed is Biochemistry, which is required by many schools.

I plan to take MCAT this summer because 1) I am done with prerequisites and the lowest letter grade I got so far for prerequisites is A- so I understand the materials pretty well (except Biology, which I need to review really a lot despite my A and A-; I'm Chemistry major); 2) I am not one of those people who can study for MCAT and coursework simultaneously (I just can't, no matter how light my coursework is), and 3) I want to do a research on the summer after junior year, and I do NOT want to study MCAT simultaneously (I have read people at SDN pulling it off, but I know I won't be able to do that).

This summer will be heavily geared for preparing for MCAT, and I'll try to throw in some volunteering at EMS now and then. I won't be able to do too much because I really want to get high MCAT score. So, this is my question: I heard that AMCAS are available in June. Would this be a problem for me if I do research on the summer after junior year and other clinical hours (I'll do some during the college years, but a lot during this time) that time and apply say like August? Will this hurt my chance because it's rolling admission?

Sorry if this is in wrong forum, but the main issue was the impact of MCAT on summer after sophomore year so, thank you!

P.S. I do not plan to take a year off after undergraduate if everything falls through. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with your decision to take the MCAT after your sophomore year.

As far as applying after your junior year summer, I don't think its a problem if you apply in August. August isn't too late.

If i were you I would just shadow some doctors now, and volunteer throughout my junior year and winter/spring breaks and then apply in June. Research isn't necessary and I see too many people looking at it like its mandatory.

If you're taking the MCAT after your sophomore year, submit your primary application as soon as it's open the summer of your junior year. Do not underestimate the value of being early. It can help a great deal.

That said, if you don't have a good amount of clinical hours and volunteer experiences, you may want to wait til the summer of your senior year. Applying without clinical and volunteer experiences is pointless.

Lastly, this thread would probably have been best put in pre-allo and not the MCAT forum.