Retake MCAT September after submitting secondaries (URGENT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoveForLemons

Reaction score
I am going back and forth about retaking the MCAT. My score is a 510. I am a reapplicant with cGPA 3.7 and sGPA 3.55. Both MCAT and GPA are pretty average so I wanted to boost my MCAT to compensate. I have a retake on 9/2 but was going to move it to 9/11 so I only have until tomorrow to decide or I will be within the 10 days allowed for rescheduling. If I am scoring 515-514, should I retake it? Also, I already submitted secondaries in August but did not update schools to a pending MCAT score b/c I didnt know if I was going to end up taking it. What if I get an interview invite before telling schools to expect my new score? Any advice would be amazing!

Members don't see this ad.

Scoring 515-514 on the FLs you already took? Because with the inflation, I would imagine you would get around a 508 on your 2nd MCAT if your retakes are around 514-515

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You’ve already submitted secondaries? So if a school gets to your complete file in the application queue, they won’t even wait for your new score. Especially since you haven’t mentioned it to any schools. You should have had a better plan. Don’t retake this cycle. It’s a waste of time and money(do you get a refund)? If you don’t get in test before you reapply.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
A higher MCAT will not remediate your GPAs
Do you think I am better off taking a few science courses this fall at a local university and sending an update letter once I get my grades? Although I added a few activities to my application since last year (went from about 150 clinical hours to over 900 as a medical assistant), do you think I have a chance with my stats as they are?

Thank you for your help!

MCAT and courses won’t affect your chances for this cycle, so don’t rush the MCAT. If you want to improve your chances for next cycle, take plenty of time to study and take it in a few months.

Reactions: 3 users
If you informed any schools that you would be retaking, Be sure to inform schools that you will not take the MCAT again.

Edited after I learned more about the process.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Be sure to inform schools that you will not take the MCAT, if that ends up being your decision. Some schools will see that you have signed up to take it and will hold your application for a score and hold, and hold, and hold. You don't want to be set aside permanently waiting for a score that isn't going to arrive.
With all due respect, this is simply not true. Schools do NOT have access to the MCAT registration system. If they did, they'd have visibility into no-shows and score cancellations, and they do not. Schools only know about future test dates if we tell them in the dedicated space in our primaries.

Since OP did not indicate a future test date, schools will not be holding the application while awaiting a future score, and OP does not have to tell schools anything unless OP decides to go forward with the exam. Even in that case, since OP did initially tell schools about the future exam, it might be too late because the application might have already been reviewed.

Do you think I am better off taking a few science courses this fall at a local university and sending an update letter once I get my grades?
This will only help if you get IIs this fall, and are put on a wait list.
Although I added a few activities to my application since last year (went from about 150 clinical hours to over 900 as a medical assistant), do you think I have a chance with my stats as they are?
YES.

What was your school list?

This will only help if you get IIs this fall, and are put on a wait list.

YES.

What was your school list?
Wayne state
OUWB
Michigan state
Central Michigan
Western homer Stryker
Drexel
Loyola
Penn state
Rosalind Franklin
Wake forest
Weight state
U of Cinn
Rush
Northeast Ohio
U of Toledo

Those are most of them off the top of my head.

Wayne state
OUWB
Michigan state
Central Michigan
Western homer Stryker
Drexel
Loyola
Penn state
Rosalind Franklin
Wake forest
Weight state
U of Cinn
Rush
Northeast Ohio
U of Toledo

Those are most of them off the top of my head.
Wright state
U of Cinn
Rush
Northeast Ohio

Were all donations.

Wit your stats, you need to have DO schools on your list. The DO cycle is longer, and so you can start applying now. Start list with MSUCOM, OH-COM, LECOM, MUCOM, KCOM, DMU, CCOM (but watch tuition), WVSOM, KYCOM.

With all due respect, this is simply not true. Schools do NOT have access to the MCAT registration system. If they did, they'd have visibility into no-shows and score cancellations, and they do not. Schools only know about future test dates if we tell them in the dedicated space in our primaries.

Since OP did not indicate a future test date, schools will not be holding the application while awaiting a future score, and OP does not have to tell schools anything unless OP decides to go forward with the exam. Even in that case, since OP did initially tell schools about the future exam, it might be too late because the application might have already been reviewed.
I stand corrected. I guess that the person I interviewed that had been shunted aside until late in the cycle had provided a MCAT date then cancelled without informing my school.

Reactions: 1 users
Wright state
U of Cinn
Rush
Northeast Ohio

Were all donations.

Wit your stats, you need to have DO schools on your list. The DO cycle is longer, and so you can start applying now. Start list with MSUCOM, OH-COM, LECOM, MUCOM, KCOM, DMU, CCOM (but watch tuition), WVSOM, KYCOM.
Thank you so much!! I will begin submitting.

I retook the mcat on august 27. do I need to update schools or will they automatically get my new score?