SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

mcat and gpa... post-interview

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by prznpremed, Feb 28, 2007.

1. prznpremed

prznpremed Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 5, 2006
    How much weight is given to these factors AFTER the interview? I was under the impression that when you get an interview you have made the numbers hurdle, and then it is subjective things that come into play. At least that's what I've heard, but it seems like they still consider those after the interview too. Any thoughts on this?:(

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. y8507

y8507 2+ Year Member

Nov 12, 2006
    i'm pretty sure most places re-review your entire file as a whole post interview in committee.

4. LifetimeDoc

LifetimeDoc EM Attending Physician 10+ Year Member

Apr 30, 2006
    USA
    If the committee has already reviewed and scored your application post interview, generally no new information will be entertained for that application year.

5. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Dec 20, 2004
    Depends a lot on the school, but there are definitely places where everyone interviewed has been deemed potentially acceptable on paper and the interview will make or break you.

6. sotired

sotired sotired 2+ Year Member

Jul 29, 2006
    what schools are like this?

7. twick121

twick121 5+ Year Member

Feb 27, 2007
    We were told at the MCW interview that they are like that. They told us that our secondary would not be looked at again and decision would be mainly based on the interview.

8. thebeatblitz

thebeatblitz 5+ Year Member

Sep 17, 2006
    That's interesting. I've found my interviews to be rather generic; if they're not a re-hash of what's already on my AMCAS, they usually ask me "Why medicine?" or "What would you do if you didn't do medicine?". Given a 30m-1hr time period, there's only so much you can take away from a person.

9. crimsonkid85

crimsonkid85 7+ Year Member

Jul 3, 2006
    in my experience, your interview is simply the last piece of your application. when you come up for voting at the ADCOM meeting, they re-examine every piece of your application, which obviously includes numbers.

10. Kikaku21

Kikaku21 Senior Member 2+ Year Member

May 10, 2006
    I figure it goes something like this... (This is a total guess)

If a school is willing to interview you, then they are probably comfortable with accepting you by your numbers. (I assume they are efficient, and don't waste time.)

If they interview you and you suck, you get flushed. If they interview you and you are better than the other guy, you get in. If its a tie between you and the other guy... you can always go back and look at the numbers to break the tie.

11. muffin man

muffin man 2+ Year Member

Mar 1, 2007
  12. GoLAClippers

GoLAClippers Banned Banned

Feb 26, 2007
    Is this true?

13. kelvin81

kelvin81 Member 5+ Year Member

Apr 24, 2006
    It is true at UCLA at least. However, I know a few other schools DO ENCOURAGE you to update information if you have something new that you believe the schools should know about.

14. TPROrgoTutor2

TPROrgoTutor2 2+ Year Member

Dec 17, 2006
    Im assuming, and hoping, that numbers will still play a role post-interview. The interview should just be another part to the application, no more or less important than the others.

15. Scottish Chap

Scottish Chap Physician PhD Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Aug 3, 2003
    Yes, that is the case at my school, too. You can be invited to interview and the Admissions Committee might not like some aspects of your application - even after a stellar interview performance. This (understandably) is very hard for some applicants to accept.

In the end, any decision to offer a place is made by a committee and you must impress all of them...even those that did not meet you. I think it is VERY difficult for the Admissions Committee: the applicant pool is so well-polished, and often it's difficult to distinguish one highly-qualified applicant from another.