Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

mcat and gpa... post-interview

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by prznpremed, Feb 28, 2007.

1. prznpremed

prznpremed Junior Member

Medical Student
    How much weight is given to these factors AFTER the interview? I was under the impression that when you get an interview you have made the numbers hurdle, and then it is subjective things that come into play. At least that's what I've heard, but it seems like they still consider those after the interview too. Any thoughts on this?:(

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. y8507

i'm pretty sure most places re-review your entire file as a whole post interview in committee.

4. LifetimeDoc

LifetimeDoc EM Attending
    Physician

Attending Physician
    If the committee has already reviewed and scored your application post interview, generally no new information will be entertained for that application year.

5. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Depends a lot on the school, but there are definitely places where everyone interviewed has been deemed potentially acceptable on paper and the interview will make or break you.

6. sotired

sotired sotired

Pre-Medical
    what schools are like this?

7. twick121

Resident [Any Field]
    We were told at the MCW interview that they are like that. They told us that our secondary would not be looked at again and decision would be mainly based on the interview.

8. thebeatblitz

Medical Student
    That's interesting. I've found my interviews to be rather generic; if they're not a re-hash of what's already on my AMCAS, they usually ask me "Why medicine?" or "What would you do if you didn't do medicine?". Given a 30m-1hr time period, there's only so much you can take away from a person.

9. crimsonkid85

MD/PhD Student
    in my experience, your interview is simply the last piece of your application. when you come up for voting at the ADCOM meeting, they re-examine every piece of your application, which obviously includes numbers.

10. Kikaku21

Kikaku21 Senior Member

Medical Student
    I figure it goes something like this... (This is a total guess)

If a school is willing to interview you, then they are probably comfortable with accepting you by your numbers. (I assume they are efficient, and don't waste time.)

If they interview you and you suck, you get flushed. If they interview you and you are better than the other guy, you get in. If its a tie between you and the other guy... you can always go back and look at the numbers to break the tie.

11. muffin man

Pre-Medical
  12. GoLAClippers

GoLAClippers Banned
    Banned

Is this true?

13. kelvin81

kelvin81 Member

Medical Student
    It is true at UCLA at least. However, I know a few other schools DO ENCOURAGE you to update information if you have something new that you believe the schools should know about.

14. TPROrgoTutor2

Medical Student
    Im assuming, and hoping, that numbers will still play a role post-interview. The interview should just be another part to the application, no more or less important than the others.

15. Scottish Chap

Physician PhD Moderator Emeritus

Yes, that is the case at my school, too. You can be invited to interview and the Admissions Committee might not like some aspects of your application - even after a stellar interview performance. This (understandably) is very hard for some applicants to accept.

In the end, any decision to offer a place is made by a committee and you must impress all of them...even those that did not meet you. I think it is VERY difficult for the Admissions Committee: the applicant pool is so well-polished, and often it's difficult to distinguish one highly-qualified applicant from another.