mcat and gpa... post-interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prznpremed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much weight is given to these factors AFTER the interview? I was under the impression that when you get an interview you have made the numbers hurdle, and then it is subjective things that come into play. At least that's what I've heard, but it seems like they still consider those after the interview too. Any thoughts on this?:(

Members don't see this ad.

i'm pretty sure most places re-review your entire file as a whole post interview in committee.

If the committee has already reviewed and scored your application post interview, generally no new information will be entertained for that application year.

Members don't see this ad :)
How much weight is given to these factors AFTER the interview? I was under the impression that when you get an interview you have made the numbers hurdle, and then it is subjective things that come into play. At least that's what I've heard, but it seems like they still consider those after the interview too. Any thoughts on this?:(

Depends a lot on the school, but there are definitely places where everyone interviewed has been deemed potentially acceptable on paper and the interview will make or break you.

Depends a lot on the school, but there are definitely places where everyone interviewed has been deemed potentially acceptable on paper and the interview will make or break you.

what schools are like this?

We were told at the MCW interview that they are like that. They told us that our secondary would not be looked at again and decision would be mainly based on the interview.

That's interesting. I've found my interviews to be rather generic; if they're not a re-hash of what's already on my AMCAS, they usually ask me "Why medicine?" or "What would you do if you didn't do medicine?". Given a 30m-1hr time period, there's only so much you can take away from a person.

in my experience, your interview is simply the last piece of your application. when you come up for voting at the ADCOM meeting, they re-examine every piece of your application, which obviously includes numbers.

I figure it goes something like this... (This is a total guess)

If a school is willing to interview you, then they are probably comfortable with accepting you by your numbers. (I assume they are efficient, and don't waste time.)

If they interview you and you suck, you get flushed. If they interview you and you are better than the other guy, you get in. If its a tie between you and the other guy... you can always go back and look at the numbers to break the tie.

If the committee has already reviewed and scored your application post interview, generally no new information will be entertained for that application year.

Is this true?

Is this true?

It is true at UCLA at least. However, I know a few other schools DO ENCOURAGE you to update information if you have something new that you believe the schools should know about.

Im assuming, and hoping, that numbers will still play a role post-interview. The interview should just be another part to the application, no more or less important than the others.

in my experience, your interview is simply the last piece of your application. when you come up for voting at the ADCOM meeting, they re-examine every piece of your application, which obviously includes numbers.
Yes, that is the case at my school, too. You can be invited to interview and the Admissions Committee might not like some aspects of your application - even after a stellar interview performance. This (understandably) is very hard for some applicants to accept.

In the end, any decision to offer a place is made by a committee and you must impress all of them...even those that did not meet you. I think it is VERY difficult for the Admissions Committee: the applicant pool is so well-polished, and often it's difficult to distinguish one highly-qualified applicant from another.