• The site has been updated!

If you see any bugs, please report them in this thread.

mcat and gpa... post-interview

prznpremed

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
How much weight is given to these factors AFTER the interview? I was under the impression that when you get an interview you have made the numbers hurdle, and then it is subjective things that come into play. At least that's what I've heard, but it seems like they still consider those after the interview too. Any thoughts on this?:(

About the Ads

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
How much weight is given to these factors AFTER the interview? I was under the impression that when you get an interview you have made the numbers hurdle, and then it is subjective things that come into play. At least that's what I've heard, but it seems like they still consider those after the interview too. Any thoughts on this?:(

Depends a lot on the school, but there are definitely places where everyone interviewed has been deemed potentially acceptable on paper and the interview will make or break you.

twick121

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
We were told at the MCW interview that they are like that. They told us that our secondary would not be looked at again and decision would be mainly based on the interview.

thebeatblitz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
That's interesting. I've found my interviews to be rather generic; if they're not a re-hash of what's already on my AMCAS, they usually ask me "Why medicine?" or "What would you do if you didn't do medicine?". Given a 30m-1hr time period, there's only so much you can take away from a person.

crimsonkid85

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
in my experience, your interview is simply the last piece of your application. when you come up for voting at the ADCOM meeting, they re-examine every piece of your application, which obviously includes numbers.

Kikaku21

10+ Year Member
May 10, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I figure it goes something like this... (This is a total guess)

If a school is willing to interview you, then they are probably comfortable with accepting you by your numbers. (I assume they are efficient, and don't waste time.)

If they interview you and you suck, you get flushed. If they interview you and you are better than the other guy, you get in. If its a tie between you and the other guy... you can always go back and look at the numbers to break the tie.

Scottish Chap

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2003
in my experience, your interview is simply the last piece of your application. when you come up for voting at the ADCOM meeting, they re-examine every piece of your application, which obviously includes numbers.
Yes, that is the case at my school, too. You can be invited to interview and the Admissions Committee might not like some aspects of your application - even after a stellar interview performance. This (understandably) is very hard for some applicants to accept.

In the end, any decision to offer a place is made by a committee and you must impress all of them...even those that did not meet you. I think it is VERY difficult for the Admissions Committee: the applicant pool is so well-polished, and often it's difficult to distinguish one highly-qualified applicant from another.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.