MCAT and SAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gravitas

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The MCAT and the SAT are both standardized tests, so I'm wondering if individuals' scores on the SAT indicate performance on the MCAT, given comparable prep time, etc. Anybody around here prep as much for the SAT as for the MCAT? Do people tend to perform within similar percentiles on each exam?

Members don't see this ad.

For me, the SAT and MCAT are two different beasts. The SAT is more of a vocabulary/aptitude test, and the MCAT is more of a test of effort (in studying) and perseverance (both in studying and taking the day long test).

BTW, I like your sig. Here's something to consider, from Wittgenstein:
"Words are deeds"

I agree with SP, the SAT and the MCAT are too very different tests. But I do think they have some similarities. I think that the SAT, like the MCAT, measures to some extent how much effort you put in. When I took the SAT without studying, I got a 1200, when I took it after studying I got a 1400. I would say that the MCAT is just a much much harder and much more involved version of the SAT.

What's the difference between the SAT & MCAT? Well, I got a 960 on my SAT and got in Pitt; now I have a GPA of 3.7 and a science GPA of 3.9. For me, I don't think that the SAT is a good predicator of how someone might do in college. No one ever thought I would have such grades in college! But I proved them wrong :clap:

I am currently in the Kaplan course and scoring in the high 20's (26-29) on MCAT practice exams: nothing special but I think I can improve. I am studying to get >30.

Members don't see this ad :)
The two tests are not alike. There was some discussion about the SAT not being a good predictor of success in college in the Boston Globe sometime last year....

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Dr.Zora Love...:
•The two tests are not alike. There was some discussion about the SAT not being a good predictor of success in college in the Boston Globe sometime last year....•••••So are you saying that the MCAT, since it's not like the SAT, IS a good predictor of how students will do in medical school? That's not very PC... but I agree :) To some extent... at least as far as how well one will do on the USLME step 1