MCAT and the Coronavirus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

satdixon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will the MCAT really not matter this upcoming admissions cycle? I understand how the coronavirus has put limitations on testing dates right now, but it feels somewhat unfair to everyone who took it before the pandemic as nearly 66 percent of applicants have their MCAT done by March. The reason I ask is because Stanford recently made their MCAT optional, and I am wondering on how you all feel this cycle will be affected. Any input would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

It's a strange cycle, for sure.

But just to address one thing in your post: med school admissions really isn't about fairness. It's about med schools selecting the people they feel will best fill out their class.

I'll also add that if you're in a position where you feel like you're not putting a strong foot forward because of COVID, that you might be in a good position to take a year, work, and be a stronger applicant. There's nothing that says you need to apply right at the end of undergrad. In fact, I'd argue it's a lot rarer for students to have a truly strong application then. Take a gap year. Take several gap years. Then apply when you have an application you feel is strong enough to be competitive.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's a strange cycle, for sure.

But just to address one thing in your post: med school admissions really isn't about fairness. It's about med schools selecting the people they feel will best fill out their class.

I'll also add that if you're in a position where you feel like you're not putting a strong foot forward because of COVID, that you might be in a good position to take a year, work, and be a stronger applicant. There's nothing that says you need to apply right at the end of undergrad. In fact, I'd argue it's a lot rarer for students to have a truly strong application then. Take a gap year. Take several gap years. Then apply when you have an application you feel is strong enough to be competitive.
Do you know what schools will be looking for more this upcoming cycle if the MCAT no longer matters?

I see pretty much zero evidence that the MCAT no longer matters. There is exactly one school that's gone MCAT optional.
I have heard the big 5 are supposed to follow as well, so I was wondering if you think other schools will do the same

I think that even if more schools go MCAT optional, it still won't change much about admissions.

I would hypothesize that it's pretty rare that an MCAT score was the only thing holding back an otherwise exceptional candidate. And so, as always, schools will look at the entire applicant. Lack of scores means they have to have other evidence to prove what they can do.

This has been discussed here and here if you wanna take a look through those. The general consensus seems to be that even for schools that have gone "MCAT optional" (which is just Stanford at the moment), it's still pretty important. With testing centers opening back up, it should be a non-issue.

I have heard the big 5 are supposed to follow as well, so I was wondering if you think other schools will do the same
If you don't mind me asking, where did you hear this ?
Even for Stanford, MCAT is not strictly optional. If you have taken it already you have to submit (you don't have a choice to not submit it). There is really a very narrow sliver of candidates who can potentially benefit from this since no other school (that I know of) has MCAT optional.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you hear this ?
Even for Stanford, MCAT is not strictly optional. If you have taken it already you have to submit (you don't have a choice to not submit it). There is really a very narrow sliver of candidates who can potentially benefit from this since no other school (that I know of) has MCAT optional.
It was from a guy who's involved with Stanford Med on Youtube, I can link the video if needed