MCAT and three yr uncertainty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohiostatedoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am sophomore (pending the end of autumn quarter), and trying to graduate in three yrs. I am not doing this for the "glory" or accolades but because I do have a family to take care of. Although I have no kids nor wife. I have 2 parents with 7 brothers. I am the oldest. So what I plan on doing is to take the MCAT this May and apply in June. However I haven't taken any Mol gen courses or biochem at all.

I will be taking a Kaplan course. What advice do u guys have on studying for the mcat. Also my gpa is marginal (3.70 ish), what mcat score is the minimum to get accepted in a school with a steller mcat average. Also, what was cost of applying to at least ten schools + the mcat stuff. I was also wondering what it be a wise decision to apply Early Decisian to my state school. I really want it there bad. However, I feel that I might be at a dissadvantage with my gpa.

Thanks

PM me if u don't want to say anything that'll start a wildfire or just don't want to say in public.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I am sophomore (pending the end of autumn quarter), and trying to graduate in three yrs. I am not doing this for the "glory" or accolades but because I do have a family to take care of. Although I have no kids nor wife. I have 2 parents with 7 brothers. I am the oldest. So what I plan on doing is to take the MCAT this May and apply in June. However I haven't taken any Mol gen courses or biochem at all.

I will be taking a Kaplan course. What advice do u guys have on studying for the mcat. Also my gpa is marginal (3.70 ish), what mcat score is the minimum to get accepted in a school with a steller mcat average. Also, what was cost of applying to at least ten schools + the mcat stuff. I was also wondering what it be a wise decision to apply Early Decisian to my state school. I really want it there bad. However, I feel that I might be at a dissadvantage with my gpa.

Thanks

PM me if u don't want to say anything that'll start a wildfire or just don't want to say in public.

Your GPA is FAR from marginal! Whether or not your GPA is competitive for Early Decision depends on which school you're talking about, so I can't really answer that. I'd bet that it's good enough for Early decision though.

The disadvantage of early decision is that, in the event you don't get accepted that route, you will have to apply to other schools in October, and you'll be considered a later applicant at these other schools. Time is of the essence when it comes to med school admissions - the earlier you submit your application, the better!

The cost of applying to 10 schools depends on which 10 you're talking about. The AMCAS fee for 10 schools would be 160+(30*9)= $430. Add onto that the cost of secondary applications, which can vary from around $40 to around a whopping $130!! It all depends on the school. My secondaries averaged $90, but I'm applying to mainly east coast private schools, which have higher secondary fees. Then you have the cost of traveling to interviews. Your costs here will vary depending on how far you live from your schools and how many interviews you attend.

(I will get back to you on MCAT info...)

Cool, wow is that u in that pic? I plan on applying to drumroll, ohio state, which is also my undergraduate school. I feel it is the best school that matches everything I stand for academically. Plus I really want to be close to my family. Thanxs a lot LovelyMD. Do u really think early decision is the right choice?

Its always my motto (heard it from assit. dean of admission at hopkins som) that its better to apply EARLY than to apply EARLY decision. Early decision locks you down to one school, and if it doesn't work out, spits you out at the same point in the application process that everyone else is applying. If you applying early, meaning having you AMCAS submitted by June 25, and having all of your secondaries in before August starts or at the latest, September, than you will be at the very front of the pack, getting interviews early and acceptances early. I followed her advice and got my first acceptance on the first day possible (Oct. 15. ) But I didnt end up going to that school. I was done with all of my interviews by Nov. 13, and I could breeze through my senior year comfortably knowing at least that I was going somewhere. My friends who aplied later in the cycle didn't get their first acceptance till like May, which made their senior year a little less enjoyable. So yeah, that was just my .02.