MCAT/Application Cycle Question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neep23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! So, I am applying to MD schools this cycle and am registered to take the MCAT for the first time on July 13th. I have been reviewing/taking tests for about 6 weeks now, and have a little over two weeks left until the exam. I average about a 30 on practice tests--AAMC and Kaplan.

I was wondering what my options will be if things don't go ideally on test day and I get a little below a 30. Do I have a chance to retake the test and still get in somewhere this cycle?

I'm planning on submitting my primary app in the first week of July. I go to a top 50 school and my grades are pretty good--3.93c, 3.83s. I have work experience, extracurriculars, shadowing, research, etc.. Also, I'm a bio and music double-major.

I could really use some words of wisdom. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! So, I am applying to MD schools this cycle and am registered to take the MCAT for the first time on July 13th. I have been reviewing/taking tests for about 6 weeks now, and have a little over two weeks left until the exam. I average about a 30 on practice tests--AAMC and Kaplan.

I was wondering what my options will be if things don't go ideally on test day and I get a little below a 30. Do I have a chance to retake the test and still get in somewhere this cycle?

I'm planning on submitting my primary app in the first week of July. I go to a top 50 school and my grades are pretty good--3.93c, 3.83s. I have work experience, extracurriculars, shadowing, research, etc.. Also, I'm a bio and music double-major.

I could really use some words of wisdom. Thanks!

July 13th would get you back scores around August 13th (exact date is out there, too lazy to google). That means you'd be able to take any of the remaining MCATs if you want to see your score first. There's a few offered early September but that does make your application pretty late considering it would be complete in October when your scores get released.

I'd say keep studying. Take some more practice tests as well. Figure out if you are still hitting your target scores (a 30 should be okay). See how it goes test day and then decide whether you want to actively continue to study until you get your scores back so you can sign up for a retake ASAP or whether you think it went well enough that you'll be fine. I wouldn't plan on cramming for 3 weeks from August 13th to a September test date though so if you think a retake is in the cards, keep studying as you wait.

Thanks!

Ugh. I just kinda wish I'd studied harder during the semester and taken the exam earlier :(

Oh, well...