MCAT Approach?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

txmed73

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have a fair amount of resources to study for the MCAT. I opened up the biology Exam Cracker book, read the intro (it said read a lecture once, read it twice while making notes, take the few questions at the end, read the lecture a third time, then move on to the next lecture). I figured "I can do that, easy study tactic. Read lectures, take questions. Finish lectures, do 30 minute mini test, etc).

I soon realized that if I did that I would be spending all my time (which I just spent a week doing only to get to lecture 2) reviewing content.

But now I have no idea what to do. Tomorrow I plan on reading all the review notes here: http://mcat-review.org/index.php and then take a practice AAMC test Tuesday to see where my weak points are and study accordingly.

However, I feel like everything is my weak point! I don't remember anything from biology or physics. My strongest area will probably be chemistry. Now say I really don't remember anything, what do I do? How do I study for this? Reading the lectures takes entirely too long and how am I supposed to do practice questions (non-passage based) if I have no idea what they're even talking about?

I may or may not be freaking out -- but help!

I am taking the MCAT in January because there is absolutely no way I am going to take the 2015 MCAT. I just can't do 7.5 hours of testing with additional content. I have some crazy ADD to deal with and this course work is enough to drive me insane.

Advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I did content review with EK too but I didn't follow their tactic. I made my own notes while I went through each lecture. I don't think it takes that much time to go through all the books since they're fairly short. Since it's been a long time since I took my core classes, I forgot most of my sciences so I spent 2 months just reviewing the content and now reviewing while practicing. I also would not just rely on EK for practice. I would recommend getting your hands on TBR books so you can supplement what you don't understand with those books since they're more detailed. Plus, spend at least half your time practicing by doing passages which will help reinforce those concepts you learned. Also, do 1 AAMC test every week leading up to your test date because you still need to get use to the AAMC format. You also didn't mention VR..don't neglect practicing VR either. You still have time since you're not taking it until January so don't freak out. Make sure you give yourself once a week to relax..trust me, it helps a lot to reboot.

Yes, I'd recommend that re-reading each lecture 3 times is too much. Takes too much time and is not as beneficial as reading the chapter once and taking practice passages.

You are certainly not the first to see MCAT questions and be lost. It takes time, and reviewing the questions (to the point that you do understand what the question is asking and how to get the correct answer) is the most important part. This demands practice, which is why you'll see many SDN members advocate for a study schedule that is exclusively practice.
My advice is keep up your studying minus reading the lectures more than once - spend much more time and energy taking and understanding questions and how to go about answering them. Practice, practice, practice, and then REVIEW strongly!

Cheers!