MCAT as a prereq to Post-Bac? But a non med school applicant.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LooKing4Ward

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background: I'm a very low gpa'er. BS in Biology 2000.

Situation: I found a Post-Bac that seems like I might meet the minimum gpa requirements. Not sure yet, have to confirm further.

Here's the deal, they also want an MCAT, but they don't say whether a prereq is to have applied to medical school and failed to get in--though they seem to insinuate it. I assume not though because with their minimum gpa cutoff who in their right mind would have applied to medical school. Additionally, who would have taken the MCAT w/o at least thinking about applying to med school.

Other info: Admission to their med school, if you successfully comlete the program.

Admission to the post-bac is favored to URM students. I fall into a underrepresented sub-ethnic group within a respresented ethnic group. And they use AMCAS criterias for URM students. I may not qualify.

Draft Plan: If further follow-up proves positive, my plan is to bring out my science books self-study (for a year or more or until I feel confident for succes on the MCAT), practice exams, possibly take an MCAT course, take MCAT (hope to get above average scores), apply to the type of programs above, in addition to work, get ECs, shadows, LORs, etc.

Pro:
Cost
Don't have to quit work.
My own pace.

Con:
Must be self-discplined.

What do y'all think? Any suggestions advice would be greatly appreicated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i can just tell you that you dont need a year to study for the mcat. if you start now you'll be good to go for april even if you dont remember much. linakge program is a advantage but if the class starts only in september you might not get in until 2007. then 1.5 or more years of past bacc. why dont you look at an informal postbacc, or at least start by taking some classes in January
goodluck

I'm okay with starting the post-bac in 2007 and being age 31. The program allows MCAT scores from August 2006, so I can aim for that.

I'm looking to do a self-study post-bac because it just seems difficult to get access to informal (post-bac) courses at the state university (where I got my degree). And I still have all my science books bio, chem, physics, organic chem, calculus, cell biology, biochem, micro. The problem with this though is getting academic LORs.

I need to research more programs with low gpa requirements and linkage. The linkage or acceptance to their medical school is the main thing that has me interested because of my very low gpa. Of couse, just because they have a very low gpa requirement doesn't mean I'm going to get in, but at least I meet part of the program's requirements that other places I don't meet.

madonna said:
i can just tell you that you dont need a year to study for the mcat. if you start now you'll be good to go for april even if you dont remember much. linakge program is a advantage but if the class starts only in september you might not get in until 2007. then 1.5 or more years of past bacc. why dont you look at an informal postbacc, or at least start by taking some classes in January
goodluck

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking4ward, some post-bac and SMP programs say they have minimum GPA requirements but in reality don't stick to them. Usually a call to the director of the program explaining your situation and your interest in their program is enough to get them to waive the requirement.

Also, some programs will except GRE scores in place of the MCAT.

Many post-bacc's, and medical schools for that matter, have minimum requirements that they will work with you on. So, a minimum requirement should not stop you from applying to the program, especially if you're close to that requirement.