MCAT Average

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a new link for the average GPA/MCAT scores for all the DO schools? The one in the stickied thread is broken.

Q: What are the average MCATs & GPAs for DO schools?
A: http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~amsa/links/medmcat.html

Edit: Nevermind. Here it is, http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/2013cib/2013CIB_whole_web.pdf

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is there a new link for the average GPA/MCAT scores for all the DO schools? The one in the stickied thread is broken.

Q: What are the average MCATs & GPAs for DO schools?
A: http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~amsa/links/medmcat.html

Edit: Nevermind. Here it is, http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/2013cib/2013CIB_whole_web.pdf
The MCAT average is still in the mid 26...Nice to know it's not creeping up like many SDN users claim in the DO forum. Glad it is still 26 since I am appplying this cycle for 2013. Shooting for an upper 20 MCAT to compensate for my subpars GPA.

The MCAT average is still in the mid 26...Nice to know it's not creeping up like many SDN users claim in the DO forum. Glad it is still 26 since I am appplying this cycle for 2013. Shooting for an upper 20 MCAT to compensate for my subpars GPA.

You're shooting for a meh MCAT with a "supars GPA"? You're probably going to want to at least try and do better than that.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're shooting for a meh MCAT with a "supars GPA"? You're probably going to want to at least try and do better than that.

look at the underdog thread. 3.0+/3.0+/25+ is competitive. Even someone with 3.3/3.1/23 got 2 interviews and an acceptance.

You can get in with those stats, just make sure you apply broadly and also have some very, very strong EC's and LORs.

That's average including ridiculous schools like pikeville and new schools that don't have many high mcat scorers. More established programs have had about a one or two point increase.

Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

That's average including ridiculous schools like pikeville and new schools that don't have many high mcat scorers. More established programs have had about a one or two point increase.

Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

Does anyone know why Pikeville's stats are so insanely low? Besides the obvious, "they matriculate low scoring applicants"

Does anyone know why Pikeville's stats are so insanely low? Besides the obvious, "they matriculate low scoring applicants"

Because they choose from a very narrow pool of applicants...mainly just instaters.

You will find that the average mcat at most DO schools now is a 27 with some that have a bit lower and some that have a bit higher.

Ill be comfortable applying DO with a 30 mcat (hopefully I get this) and 3.26 cum 3.23 science gpa but well see; nothing is guaranteed. Im also applying to around 20 schools, very early, and with fairly decent ECs.

Think about this...why would the MCAT average go up dramatically when they are starting to open up more and more DO schools and new do schools=lower then average mcat scores.

That's average including ridiculous schools like pikeville and new schools that don't have many high mcat scorers.

Yes

look at the underdog thread. 3.0+/3.0+/25+ is competitive. Even someone with 3.3/3.1/23 got 2 interviews and an acceptance.

Let's not give false hope to pre-meds by misusing the term "competitive."

Yes

Let's not give false hope to pre-meds by misusing the term "competitive."
Agreed... you have to acknowledge that 3.3/3.1/23 is not competitive by means of numbers alone.

Since when is below average competitive? Just because people got in with those stats does not mean they are competitive stats (all other factors aside).

You are misunderstanding/misinterpreting the whole context of that thread. I was a poster there and while I am a success story, there was a lot more to my application than just those numbers, including graduate school and 10+ years of clinical experience, great letters, and great interviews. I posted there not to say that folks can succeed despite their low stats, not because of them. I don't want to crush any dreams here. Just be realistic.

I am shooting for a 30+ but I will be OK with a 28 with 3.15cGPA/3.28 sGPA good ECs,LOR and 6 years working 40hrs/week in healthcare.

I am shooting for a 30+ but I will be OK with a 28 with 3.15cGPA/3.28 sGPA good ECs,LOR and 6 years working 40hrs/week in healthcare.

That sounds more like it. You've got to be realistic but at the same time visualize success. I know that sounds super self-helpy but being satisfied with "good-enough" is not exactly the best way to do things. Good luck!

In 2010, CCOM's average MCAT was a 28. I would assume it has increased a bit since then, judging by what I was told by the folks I interviewed alongside. I remember reading the LECOM-E is around there, too.

That sounds more like it. You've got to be realistic but at the same time visualize success. I know that sounds super self-helpy but being satisfied with "good-enough" is not exactly the best way to do things. Good luck!
Got ya...shooting for the best...Thanks for your encouragement.