MCAT avg to get into carib schools?

Started by SadPanda
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SadPanda

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The avg for all MCAT applicant seems to be getting higher and I just wanted to know if its true for applicants to the carib schools also, esp for people that have recently applied for the 08 or 09 year. I've read on the forums anyone with avg of 6's will do to ppl with 30's getting rejected so I just need some clarification. If people that have recently applied and gotten accepted dont mind posting that would be great. thank you
 
It depends on the semester, the school and how your MCAT fits in to the rest of your application.

One thing is for sure and a minimum of 25 is recommended but a lower score may get you in of your GPA compensates (3.3+).
 
A quick search will tell you what you need to know. I can tell you that SGU reported at our white coat ceremony an avg MCAT of 26 and a GPA of 3.3. So basically like a mid-/low-tier D.O. school in the states. There's a lot of talk on here about Carib schools futzing with their acceptance #'s. My own anecdotal experience suggests that those stats sound about right...just guessing obviously.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The avg for all MCAT applicant seems to be getting higher and I just wanted to know if its true for applicants to the carib schools also, esp for people that have recently applied for the 08 or 09 year. I've read on the forums anyone with avg of 6's will do to ppl with 30's getting rejected so I just need some clarification. If people that have recently applied and gotten accepted dont mind posting that would be great. thank you

You haven't specified the school. Good luck getting into St George's with an 18, but I'm sure MUA or St Matthew's would look over your app, considering they don't even require the MCAT. Like MGG said, if you have other aspects of your application that compensate (i.e. high GPA), they'd probably be willing to overlook that bad day at the MCAT.
 
and how does that nullify the usefulness of a search to get a range of accepted MCAT scores at School X??

Because a quick search does not give you an answer. It gives you the average MCAT score and GPA. That means nothing in the Caribbean because of the disparate variety of applicants. This means that people will be all over the map with stats. Unlike the US where matriculants are concentrated around the average, the Caribbean accepts people with high and low stats that create the average.

So in reality, that 26 MCAT is:

a guy with a 30 MCAT and a 2.9 GPA

AND

a guy with a 23 MCAT and a 3.8 GPA

When you tell someone that they need a minimum of X for a school, it is false information because it is not really true.

A simple search does not give an answer but simple logic allows you to see what MCAT you need when the whole application is taken into consideration.
 
I see. You're saying the OP wants a minimum score that gets one into a Caribbean school? I thought s/he just wanted a range of scores. Of course, a range of scores for all the schools in the Caribbean will be pretty broad.
 
Yeah, it seems that we have been beaten down for so long with "minimum this" and "minimum that", that it has all become a numbers game in our minds.

I know that it is nice to hear that we meet some minimum criteria, but for-profit aspect of the Carib (coupled with the high motivation of the applicants) creates a different system.



I see. You're saying the OP wants a minimum score that gets one into a Caribbean school? I thought s/he just wanted a range of scores. Of course, a range of scores for all the schools in the Caribbean will be pretty broad.
 
From your stats alone, you have a very good chance.



I know this is an annoying question but...

What are my chances in the Caribbean with a 3.1 GPA and 29O MCAT vs. a DO school in the states? For the record I'd much rather get an MD in the Caribbean.
 
For the record I'd much rather get an MD in the Caribbean.

Really make sure you educate yourself on the hurdles of choosing either path. It's been done a million times, so I'm not going to bother telling you why you should choose one over the other. Just realize, if you only want to do the Caribbean over DO because your ego doesn't like the letters D and O after your surname, seriously rethink.
 
Really make sure you educate yourself on the hurdles of choosing either path. It's been done a million times, so I'm not going to bother telling you why you should choose one over the other. Just realize, if you only want to do the Caribbean over DO because your ego doesn't like the letters D and O after your surname, seriously rethink.

I don't think it's that. I'm not so interested in functioning as a General Practioner, which I think most Osteopaths do. I'm thinking more about sub-specialties like neurology or radiology which seem angular to the tradition. But it's true, I don't have all the information... guess it's time to haunt the Osteo forums...
 
I don't think it's that. I'm not so interested in functioning as a General Practioner, which I think most Osteopaths do. I'm thinking more about sub-specialties like neurology or radiology which seem angular to the tradition. But it's true, I don't have all the information... guess it's time to haunt the Osteo forums...


Just go to search and type in MD vs. DO in this forum or on valuemd and you will be overwhelmed with posts that go ON AND ON AND ON!