MCAT Biochem mnemonics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RockMcat520

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
DOES ANYONE CAME UP WITH NEW MNEMONICS FOR BIOCHEM? :D

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
TITMITL

It stands for "There is To Much Information To Learn"

Reactions: 2 users
Understanding is more important than memorizing. With the exception of knowing the amino acids, which is both memorizing and understanding.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please Can I Keep Selling Sex for Money, Officer?

Pyruvate

Citrate

Isocitrate

α-Ketoglutarate

Succinyl-CoA

Succinate

Fumarate

Malate

Oxaloacetate

TCA cycle products

Reactions: 7 users
Please Can I Keep Selling Sex for Money, Officer?

Pyruvate

Citrate

Isocitrate

α-Ketoglutarate

Succinyl-CoA

Succinate

Fumarate

Malate

Oxaloacetate

TCA cycle products
I used the exact same one

If you want to memorize any pathways. Just write em down on a blank piece of paper 10-15 times. It's not that much to remember

Kinky People Come Over For Group Sex:

Kingdom
Phylum
Class
Order
Family
Genus
Species

Not really sure this is tested over at all but it's always fun to say. :p

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Any Amino acid mnemonics? I haven't found one that works for me...especially for the long list ones (e.g. non-polar, polar)

My mnemonic for the amino acids is so dumb I can hardly bear to write it out but I will for fellow SDN'ers. Oh geez.
Getting A Paunch? Very Lame In My World. First Say Thank You. Now Quickly Consume Kale Radish Hors Doeuvres Everyday. So that takes you through G A P V L I M W F S T Y N Q C K R H D E
I am not totally sure why my book presented them in this order but it did and that's how I got them down. Mnemonics, just make something up that you can remember. Mine obviously is ridiculous but I remembered it.
I will also challenge anyone to beat my high score on this quiz: my fastest time was 4:05.
Amino Acids by Picture Quiz
This quiz is good for remembering the structures! Also I'll point out you "say thank you" for the alcohols.:) Positive amino acids "His Are Lies!!" Of course the negative AA's you just know they're the acids, D and E. And it is primarily "say thank you" that can be phosphorylated!

Just want to chime in here. There is no benefit to just memorizing the names of amino acids or enzyme types lol. Memorizing them in such a way that allows you remember how they're classified should be your priority if you insist. Above poster has the right idea with his last set of mnemonics.

Any Amino acid mnemonics? I haven't found one that works for me...especially for the long list ones (e.g. non-polar, polar)

This is a great video for learning the Amino Acids. All these mnemonics and such are good ways to get started learning but eventually you'll see things so much that mnemonics aren't necessary anymore.

The first is a little perverted and weird but it works for me;

Non-polar - Get a Vag L-I-P to my penis - gly, ala, leu, ile, pro, trp, met, phe
Polar - some times they are good cooks - ser, thr, tyr, asn, gln, cys

Just memorized basic/acidic
Basic - HAL - his, arg, lys
Acidic - AG - asp, glu