MCAT blues....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SKD58

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

So, I'm going into my 5th week of straight MCAT studying (~3hrs/day) and working full time as a research assistant. I'm making good progress, but I'm SUPER bummed. No one understands and everyone thinks I'm crazy for spending a summer studying.

Does anyone have any advice for beating the MCAT blues and feeling less alone in this process? What foods might help? Exercises? Chat rooms? Support groups? TYPE OF ALCOHOL? Haha

Any advice would help.

Sincerely,

Overworked pre-med

Members don't see this ad.

Alcohol? No please I beg but you can use exercising and hanging out with friends when on break else you will burn out sooner or later and everything MCAT will make you feel sick

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I can totally relate. Work, stress, and just the overall nature of studying during the summer just sucks. But try to find time to do something fun atleast once a week to maintain your sanity. Whether it's just hanging out with friends, going to the gym, watching netflix, a redbox movie, playing a video game, or just chillin' by the beach, it's very important you take some time off. You'll find you're way more productive studying when you give yourself some 'me' time. Also, a little laugher goes a long way. Laugh like a maniac when nobody is looking. It's been scientifically proven to increase memory recall and uplift your mood, but you probably already knew this, lol.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm doing full-time research and using SN2ed to study, I absolutely understand you OP.
I read an hour of manga/watch 1-2 episodes of anime/play card games before bed. Do something that will make you happy.

Awee I so understand your pain. This happened to me too as I moved to a new place, and almost immediately started studying. I just now realized I've been doing everything wrong. I was blowing everyone off and felt like every second needed to be dedicated to the MCAT. I gave up exercise, friends, and eating well and doing things for myself like hiking. It's rough to work full time and study because it does feel like every free second needs to be spent studying. I totally had the MCAT blues because I was depriving myself of everything in life that I love.

I can't stress enough to take breaks. I promise you, once you get over the feeling of guilt it'll be so worth it! Don't do what I did and give up everything you enjoy to study! It just adds stress which leads to less effective studying.