MCAT Canceled

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stressed student024

Reaction score
My MCAT on the 27th has been canceled. I saw that the April 4th test has been canceled too. I was able to reschedule for May 9th, but I am seeing on twitter that some people are getting their tests canceled as late as May 16th by their testing centers, so my hopes are not high. I am insanely frustrated. I, like many of you, have been studying for months and sacrificing a lot for this test. In addition, I am worried that this is going to force me to push off applying for a year. I know that COVID-19 is serious and that there are significantly bigger concerns than a girl and her MCAT, but man, this really sucks. Guess I am just seeing if anyone is in the same boat as me at this point. I really am worrying about not being able to apply anymore.

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Did you already take the MCAT? If so, and if they don't do anything for the people affected by the cancellations, you are going to have a GREAT cycle!!! :)
I took it in advance for this cycle in August! I'd like to think I'd have a great cycle regardless due to two unique EC's and my stats so I hope that comes into fruition!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
My MCAT on the 27th has been canceled. I saw that the April 4th test has been canceled too. I was able to reschedule for May 9th, but I am seeing on twitter that some people are getting their tests canceled as late as May 16th by their testing centers, so my hopes are not high. I am insanely frustrated. I, like many of you, have been studying for months and sacrificing a lot for this test. In addition, I am worried that this is going to force me to push off applying for a year. I know that COVID-19 is serious and that there are significantly bigger concerns than a girl and her MCAT, but man, this really sucks. Guess I am just seeing if anyone is in the same boat as me at this point. I really am worrying about not being able to apply anymore.

My MCAT is scheduled for April 24th in Pittsburgh, PA. So far AAMC cancelled the MCAT on 3/27 and 4/4; I'm not sure if my exam will also be cancelled or not. I've been checking the Pearson website but as of now they are closed and I don't think they will post any information until April 16th when they open again (which is really close to my testing day). Idk if I should wait and cross my fingers that the exam doesn't get cancelled or if I should reschedule my exam. I'm worried that if I reschedule I won't be able to get the scores back in time for the application cycle. Any suggestions on what I should do, or what might happen to the April 24th exam?

My MCAT is scheduled for April 24th in Pittsburgh, PA. So far AAMC cancelled the MCAT on 3/27 and 4/4; I'm not sure if my exam will also be cancelled or not. I've been checking the Pearson website but as of now they are closed and I don't think they will post any information until April 16th when they open again (which is really close to my testing day). Idk if I should wait and cross my fingers that the exam doesn't get cancelled or if I should reschedule my exam. I'm worried that if I reschedule I won't be able to get the scores back in time for the application cycle. Any suggestions on what I should do, or what might happen to the April 24th exam?
????? Who knows? Your guess is as good as anyone else's. It doesn't look good now, but things could change. The longer you wait, the less choice you'll have in alternate test dates, unless and until AAMC adds dates later. On the other hand, your date might not be cancelled, so if you cancel before AAMC makes an announcement, you might be screwing yourself for no reason. Just do whatever feels right to you. No anonymous stranger here has any information you don't have access to!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If its any consolation (who knows though), my pre med advisor got off a webinar with AAMC representatives who said they will most likely make accommodations for student who missed MCAT dates (add testing dates). Also, considering the fact that most faculty are practicing physicians at medical schools, reviewing applications are the last thing on their list of priorities at this point and time so this year will most likely be more lenient on timelines. however, no one has a definitive answer.

If its any consolation (who knows though), my pre med advisor got off a webinar with AAMC representatives who said they will most likely make accommodations for student who missed MCAT dates (add testing dates). Also, considering the fact that most faculty are practicing physicians at medical schools, reviewing applications are the last thing on their list of priorities at this point and time so this year will most likely be more lenient on timelines. however, no one has a definitive answer.

Thank you for your reply! what you're saying makes sense

Wow really? Sorry to hear that guys. Our boards (oral boards post residency) also got rescheduled, I guess everyone is getting re-scheduled. Sucks. It seems everything is in flux.

My MCAT was cancelled also. I spent 6 months busting my a— studying for it. Looks like I’ll be studying a bit longer, lol.

Anyway, medical schools are probably going to be lenient regarding mcats since they’ll be well aware that unforeseen circumstances are preventing candidates from taking it. They’re stringent but not unfair. What I think will REALLY make a difference this cycle is if you actually make a contribution to the covid 19 response in some way (be it working or volunteering). Actually doing something to help when so many are suffering demonstrates the values that medicine is supposed to espouse way more than a score on a silly standardized test.

Also, DO schools (LECOM comes to mind) are already fairly lenient regarding late score submissions so if you can humble yourself to apply DO, you should be ok.

If you think that DO is beneath you, you should consider another profession.

Last edited:
My MCAT was cancelled also. I spent 6 months busting my a— studying for it. Looks like I’ll be studying a bit longer, lol.

Anyway, medical schools are probably going to lenient regarding mcats since they’ll be well aware that unforeseen circumstances are preventing candidates from taking it. They’re stringent but not unfair. What I think will REALLY make a difference this cycle is if you actually make a contribution to the covid 19 response in some way (be it working or volunteering). Actually doing something to help when so many are suffering demonstrates the values that medicine is supposed to espouse way more than a score on a silly standardized test.

Also, DO schools (LECOM comes to mind) are already fairly lenient regarding late score submissions so if you can humble yourself to apply DO, you should be ok.

People really think DO is beneath them? I would kill for a DO spot lol.

Anyway, medical schools are probably going to lenient regarding mcats since they’ll be well aware that unforeseen circumstances are preventing candidates from taking it. They’re stringent but not unfair. What I think will REALLY make a difference this cycle is if you actually make a contribution to the covid 19 response in some way (be it working or volunteering). Actually doing something to help when so many are suffering demonstrates the values that medicine is supposed to espouse way more than a score on a silly standardized test.

I just saw that the April 24/25 test dates got cancelled. I have mine re-scheduled for May 9th, but it seems less and less likely that I will get to take it, so I really relate. At some point, I am going to run out of practice materials lol.

My April 25 just got cancelled. Soonest MCAT I could find in the country was June 18, which I will have to fly to. I have my entire application complete and ready to submit (besides the MCAT) because I planned on submitting on the day they open up. Would it still be a good idea to submit the first day and just wait on the MCAT? I know they won't actually make a decision or even look at my app without the MCAT, but I hate the idea of applying late.

Last edited:
My April 25 just got cancelled. Soonest MCAT I could find in the country was June 18, which I will have to fly to. I have my entire application complete and ready to submit (besides the MCAT) because I planned on submitting to MD/DO/TX on the day they open up. Would it still be a good idea to submit the first day and just wait on the MCAT? I know they won't actually make a decision or even look at my app without the MCAT, but I hate the idea of applying late.
Certainly wouldn’t be a bad idea to be verified as early as possible

Members don't see this ad :)
I am registered for the May 9th exam. I feel like it's going to get cancelled too. I wish I can take the dang MCAT in a country where COVID is not in existence...

Anyhow I talked to an admissions officer on the phone and she proposed that there is a possibility that there may be an in-home proctored version of the MCAT where you'd have to take it within the time frame the exam opens and closes along with meeting up with the requirements to take the exam (ex. having a camera, reliable pc and etc.)

That's my take on it, but hopefully we can all apply this cycle without covid affecting our apps.

I am registered for the May 9th exam. I feel like it's going to get cancelled too. I wish I can take the dang MCAT in a country where COVID is not in existence...

Anyhow I talked to an admissions officer on the phone and she proposed that there is a possibility that there may be an in-home proctored version of the MCAT where you'd have to take it within the time frame the exam opens and closes along with meeting up with the requirements to take the exam (ex. having a camera, reliable pc and etc.)

That's my take on it, but hopefully we can all apply this cycle without covid affecting our apps.
I hope they do that or open up more test dates in June. I feel like it would hurt our apps to take it as late as July or August because I figure by the time they cancel the May 9th exam, most June dates will be filled.

I hope they do that or open up more test dates in June. I feel like it would hurt our apps to take it as late as July or August because I figure by the time they cancel the May 9th exam, most June dates will be filled.
Almost every June date in the country is already filled. I saw 1 in Florida and 1 in Tennessee, but that's all I could find.

Is there any way that aamc would waive the mcat as a requirement? I’m from Texas and most colleges here have done that for sat and act, although I get that that’s a totally different story. I’m even more pissed bc I actually took the mcat last year and decided to apply in the next cycle for several reasons, one being the chance to improve my mcat. If they actually do waive the mcat and I don’t get a chance to retake after dedicating so much time to retaking I’m afraid I’ll still be evaluated using my old mcat score, I won’t get the opportunity to retake, and the majority of people in this cycle will luck out and not have to take it. Or maybe they will just extend the deadlines/interview dates into later in the year? I have no clue, sending major anti anxiety vibes to all of this in this position....
Texas schools will not be waiving the MCAT, but most have said to submit the rest of your application.
Some schools will begin reading and reviewing it without an MCAT score, others will hold off until a score comes in.
They will not be inviting anyone for interviews without an MCAT score.

When I said waive the mcat, I didn’t actually mean fully throw it out of the window- I was kind of in shock at my mcat being cancelled and everything going on in the world.

At the moment April tests have been cancelled, so like you said schools have said they will extend secondaries w/o scores. If May or June tests get cancelled, I think we could be looking at interviews and even eventually even acceptances being offered on a provisional basis. I.e., you just have to take the mcat and prove some level of competence before securing your admission. The longer the tests are cancelled, the more of the admissions process will go forward w/o test scores, and I think it’s already pretty clear that schools/AAMC are not willing to delay the app start date. But, once you are interviewed or even accepted, I think schools will be much more lenient on mcat scores imo. By waived, I meant that test scores will likely play a much less significant role in admissions decisions and applicants who are looking to use the mcat to bolster the app will be at a disadvantage unfortunately.

But like you said about TX schools, I do think more mainstream state schools will still be more focused on the mcat and slower to bend their requirements. I got a lot of laughing emojis, but seems like things are headed in this direction. I’m just too old towith anyone on social media

Texas schools will not be waiving the MCAT, but most have said to submit the rest of your application.
Some schools will begin reading and reviewing it without an MCAT score, others will hold off until a score comes in.
They will not be inviting anyone for interviews without an MCAT score.

When I said waive the mcat, I didn’t actually mean fully throw it out of the window- I was kind of in shock at my mcat being cancelled and everything going on in the world.

At the moment April tests have been cancelled, so like you said schools have said they will extend secondaries w/o scores. If May or June tests get cancelled, I think we could be looking at interviews and even eventually even acceptances being offered on a provisional basis. I.e., you just have to take the mcat and prove some level of competence before securing your admission. The longer the tests are cancelled, the more of the admissions process will go forward w/o test scores, and I think it’s already pretty clear that schools/AAMC are not willing to delay the app start date. But, once you are interviewed or even accepted, I think schools will be much more lenient on mcat scores imo. By waived, I meant that test scores will likely play a much less significant role in admissions decisions and applicants who are looking to use the mcat to bolster the app will be at a disadvantage unfortunately.

But like you said about TX schools, I do think more mainstream state schools will still be more focused on the mcat and slower to bend their requirements. I got a lot of laughing emojis, but seems like things are headed in this direction. I’m just too old towith anyone on social media
I know this is disappointing news to have your MCAT date cancelled and have so much uncertainty about not just that, but everything else right now. I do not foresee that any school will admit applicants without an MCAT score.
As some of the more experienced SDN advisors have pointed out, every year there are enough highly qualified applicants to med schools to fill the class 2 or 3 times over. Those who already have an MCAT score available, even if it is one from a previous unsuccessful cycle, will be able to apply on time and have a complete application. Don't let this fact make you feel bitter, but wait to see if MCAT centers re-open in time for you to apply this cycle. If not, keep on learning and growing so that you'll be an even better applicant next year.

If May or June tests get cancelled, I think we could be looking at interviews and even eventually even acceptances being offered on a provisional basis. I.e., you just have to take the mcat and prove some level of competence before securing your admission.

Interviews take an extraordinary amount of resources to make happen. Why on earth would schools risk that for interviewees they’re not even sure can adequately perform on the MCAT?

It is completely unrealistic to expect schools to give up precious interview spots, and even more, acceptance spots to someone without an MCAT score. The MCAT makes up a large part of the core in one’s academic aptitude. It’s not an inconsequential part of an application by any measure.

that’s definitely true in a regular cycle. I just think it’s unrealistic to expect this year to work the same way.
Also I don’t know if I mentioned this already, but I finished a post bac from one of the career changer programs that has links with certain meds schools like UPenn, U Chicago, etc. if you are accepted as a linker, you don’t have to take the mcat or you end up taking it like a month before you start school and the schools are much easier on the requirement. If I hadn’t gone to that program, I would think more like you and most people on sdn. In fact, when I started the program I was really confused by the whole process and thought it was too good to be true. But once you get familiar with alternative paths to med school, you start to realize how lax some schools are willing to be in standardized testing and that there aren’t just one or two of these alternate paths- they are more common than you’d think. Anyway that’s just my perspective, time will tell.

Interviews take an extraordinary amount of resources to make happen. Why on earth would schools risk that for interviewees they’re not even sure can adequately perform on the MCAT?

It is completely unrealistic to expect schools to give up precious interview spots, and even more, acceptance spots to someone without an MCAT score. The MCAT makes up a large part of the core in one’s academic aptitude. It’s not an inconsequential part of an application by any measure.

if you are accepted as a linker, you don’t have to take the mcat or you end up taking it like a month before you start school and the schools are much easier on the requirement.

That is different; that is assuming you pass and do very well in their linker program that they are more lax about the MCAT - the reason being is their program is likely a lot more challenging than the MCAT itself: if you can pass their program, you likely will do fine on the MCAT. A random average joe from the MD pool without an MCAT is a massive gamble as <80% of test-takers score below the general median matriculated MCAT score.

that’s definitely true in a regular cycle. I just think it’s unrealistic to expect this year to work the same way.
Also I don’t know if I mentioned this already, but I finished a post bac from one of the career changer programs that has links with certain meds schools like UPenn, U Chicago, etc. if you are accepted as a linker, you don’t have to take the mcat or you end up taking it like a month before you start school and the schools are much easier on the requirement. If I hadn’t gone to that program, I would think more like you and most people on sdn. In fact, when I started the program I was really confused by the whole process and thought it was too good to be true. But once you get familiar with alternative paths to med school, you start to realize how lax some schools are willing to be in standardized testing and that there aren’t just one or two of these alternate paths- they are more common than you’d think. Anyway that’s just my perspective, time will tell.

Thank you for the post. Can you please elaborate on alternative pathways to medical school? Could you please provide detailed information at your earliest convenience. Thank you in advance.

My exam was cancelled and I'm confused with the three options they've given me. I understand the rescheduling and cancelling options, but what do they mean by...

"Wait and keep your exam on hold: If you cannot find an appointment on your preferred date, consider keeping your exam on hold. The AAMC and Pearson VUE will provide additional testing opportunities, and we will keep you updated on the availability of new exam dates. Appointments may be kept on hold until May 31, after which they will be automatically canceled for a full refund of the base registration fee."

It seems everyone is rushing to reschedule their exam, but am I foolish to think that keeping my exam on hold will yield a June test date that they add when/if the situation settles down in the next month?

"Wait and keep your exam on hold: If you cannot find an appointment on your preferred date, consider keeping your exam on hold. The AAMC and Pearson VUE will provide additional testing opportunities, and we will keep you updated on the availability of new exam dates. Appointments may be kept on hold until May 31, after which they will be automatically canceled for a full refund of the base registration fee."

Sounds like keeping on hold means they get to keep your money and you get to keep a place in line for getting rescheduled into one of their new test dates. It's a compromise on their part to not have to rapidly refund everyone while providing an edge on getting whatever those new test dates are. I would call or email to confirm this though as they didn't explicitly promise that, so it's unclear what your best course of action is.

My exam was cancelled and I'm confused with the three options they've given me. I understand the rescheduling and cancelling options, but what do they mean by...

It seems everyone is rushing to reschedule their exam, but am I foolish to think that keeping my exam on hold will yield a June test date that they add when/if the situation settles down in the next month?
Will you please reply to this, and let me know what is meant by that if you get a solid answer? My date is May 9th, so I am sure that it will be cancelled soon. If you are correct about possibly being able to get a June date by holding your exam, then this is the option I will choose if my date is canceled.

Let's just assume everyone following this thread has a date in April/May/June.

If you could chose a new date today that would: A) have a minimal chance of not being canceled; and B) not severely impact your verification & application timeline, what date would you choose to reschedule for?

If you could chose a new date today that would: A) have a minimal chance of not being canceled; and B) not severely impact your verification & application timeline, what date would you choose to reschedule for?

I’m also curious about this. My exam date is May 16. Seems like it will be cancelled but it’s frustrating not having frequent updates from the AAMC. I know they’re busy and there’s so much uncertainty right now.

anyway, June seems to be booked up in many states and the next available I can find is July. Does this seem too late?

That is different; that is assuming you pass and do very well in their linker program that they are more lax about the MCAT - the reason being is their program is likely a lot more challenging than the MCAT itself: if you can pass their program, you likely will do fine on the MCAT. A random average joe from the MD pool without an MCAT is a massive gamble as <80% of test-takers score below the general median matriculated MCAT score.

The MCAT is a completely pointless, useless test. Whether you get a perfect score or a terrible score, it will have 0 effect on how you practice as a physician or how good of a physician you are.
This outright dumb and obtuse view that scores are somehow correlated with medical practice is disturbing.
Not to mention that the test has changed so much and so much of it is irrelevant to medical practice - verbal section? pointless. Biochem - when have I last used biochem? not since med school. Physics - unless you are in rads/rad onc you w ill never use it/need it. what other pointless section do they have now?
Please realize that while some nonsensical standarized testing will always be used - it has zero correlation to how good of a physician anyone will be.

Reactions: 2 users
The MCAT is a completely pointless, useless test. Whether you get a perfect score or a terrible score, it will have 0 effect on how you practice as a physician or how good of a physician you are.
This outright dumb and obtuse view that scores are somehow correlated with medical practice is disturbing.
Not to mention that the test has changed so much and so much of it is irrelevant to medical practice - verbal section? pointless. Biochem - when have I last used biochem? not since med school. Physics - unless you are in rads/rad onc you w ill never use it/need it. what other pointless section do they have now?
Please realize that while some nonsensical standarized testing will always be used - it has zero correlation to how good of a physician anyone will be.

The MCAT is the closest correlative representation of how students will perform on Step 1 and Step 2 considering those are also standardized tests. All standardized tests are written with standardized format and seek to glean the same type of thought processes within their respective contexts. If one cannot perform well on the MCAT, is it very unclear how they would perform on Step exams whether they have some understanding of the material or not.

I'd argue that those sections are indeed important to one's functioning as a professional in a multifaceted field that requires an abundance of skills aside from memory of medical terminology and concepts; if one has poor reading comprehension and cannot critically think about the written and unwritten connotations of a written piece, how do you expect them to fully comprehend and analyze scientific literature which is by far more convoluted, and at times misleading, than the simple passages on the MCAT?

I'm sure there are more data to support the ubiquitous use of standardized testing as benchmark for the propensity one has to succeed in a demanding academic program vs the disgruntled opinion of someone in the system. If you have more data though, please point me as I'd be very interested in seeing the evidence for a complete conclusive irrelevance of MCAT performance to physician success. Perhaps it'd be hard though to obtain as there aren't many medical students/physicians that have terrible MCAT scores under their belts.

The MCAT is the closest correlative representation of how students will perform on Step 1 and Step 2 considering those are also standardized tests. All standardized tests are written with standardized format and seek to glean the same type of thought processes within their respective contexts. If one cannot perform well on the MCAT, is it very unclear how they would perform on Step exams whether they have some understanding of the material or not.

I'd argue that those sections are indeed important to one's functioning as a professional in a multifaceted field that requires an abundance of skills aside from memory of medical terminology and concepts; if one has poor reading comprehension and cannot critically think about the written and unwritten connotations of a written piece, how do you expect them to fully comprehend and analyze scientific literature which is by far more convoluted, and at times misleading, than the simple passages on the MCAT?

I'm sure there are more data to support the ubiquitous use of standardized testing as benchmark for the propensity one has to succeed in a demanding academic program vs the disgruntled opinion of someone in the system. If you have more data, please point me as I'd be very interested in seeing the evidence for a complete irrelevance of MCAT to physician success. Perhaps it'd be hard though to obtain as there aren't many medical students/physicians that have terrible MCAT scores under their belts.

Simple - you are wrong.
You can delude your mind all you want into thinking that the MCAT or any other standarized testin is important - it's not
USMLE is a bunch a garbage too - and USMLE 1 has been changed to P/F btw so even more useless now.
It's fine I get that med students don't understand this at this stage, but it has 0 correlation to how you practice as a physician
As a practicing physician I can attest to this.
So please dont go spewing on how this is important to practice. And how people do on step 1, 2, 3 outside of residency has 0 effect on one's goodness or badness as a PRACTICING PHYSICIAN.
Some people excel on tests, others suck.
That's just reality.

Simple - you are wrong.

Compelling data.

I don't subscribe much to anecdotal assurance, but to bite, even in this hypothetical world of yours, there is likely such a small, sub-percentage population of physicians that are currently practicing that have received a "terrible" MCAT score, that it is impossible to know if a terrible MCAT performance would lead to poorer performing doctors.

Nonetheless, to be a practicing physician period, you have to pass certain benchmarks in a standardized setting in which the MCAT serves as an indication to one's success with this. I'm not sure what your alternative is if there is no metric for making sure people have acquired content and can apply it critically to nuanced circumstances. Maybe we can just take their word for it. Not that one's credentials matter slightly in the understanding of this reality, but as an EMT, I can say that there is a tangible difference in quality of EMT whom passed their CBT on the first go vs those that had to take it 3-4 times. But that's my world.

Sorry you feel so strongly about standardized testing. But for me, I'll stick to only having surgeons that can pass a simple test cut me open rather than a cohort of "bad test takers" who can't prove they know anything, but by your word, you swear they are good doctors.

Last edited:
Compelling data.

I don't subscribe much to anecdotal assurance, but to bite, even in this hypothetical world of yours, there is likely such a small, sub-percentage population of physicians that are currently practicing that have received a "terrible" MCAT score, that it is impossible to know if a terrible MCAT performance would lead to poorer performing doctors.

Nonetheless, to be a practicing physician period, you have to pass certain benchmarks in a standardized setting in which the MCAT serves as an indication to one's success with this. I'm not sure what your alternative is if there is no metric for making sure people have acquired content and can apply it critically to nuanced circumstances. Maybe we can just take their word for it. Not that one's credentials matter slightly in the understanding of this reality, but as an EMT, I can say that there is a tangible difference in quality of EMT whom passed their CBT on the first go vs those that had to take it 3-4 times. But that's my world.

Sorry you feel so strongly about standardized testing. But for me, I'll stick to only having surgeons that can pass a simple test cut me open rather than a cohort of "bad test takers" who can't prove they know anything, but by your word, you swear they are good doctors.
[/QUOTE

If and when you become a physician let’s talk then.
Interesting that you think only surgeons Need to pass tests on a first time attempt? You do realize must physicians are not surgeons right?
And there are numerous physicians that fail standardized testing - even one of our chiefs back in residency failed his boards - and I know of Neptune others - and they are excellent physicians
But pointless to talk to someone who isn’t even in me school yet

Whether we like it or not, the MCAT gives a statistical cut mark that is not subjective. It does not care where you live or attended, what you look like, if you can BS on an essay, how nice the suit you wear is to an interview etc... It is a filter, part of an algorithm, that helps schools to weed out thousands of candidates that aren't ready yet. And when you use it with the MSAR, it saves the candidates money. Often people do not hold accurate assessments of themselves. So having a nonobjective number can tell you that applying to schools X, Y and Z are a waste of your money, since chances are slim to none. Apply to schools A, B and C instead. Or prep for another year and try again.

So while we all agree there is HUGE frustration and uncertainty this year, that does not discredit some of what the test does.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
If and when you become a physician let’s talk then.
Interesting that you think only surgeons Need to pass tests on a first time attempt? You do realize must physicians are not surgeons right?
And there are numerous physicians that fail standardized testing - even one of our chiefs back in residency failed his boards - and I know of Neptune others - and they are excellent physicians
But pointless to talk to someone who isn’t even in me school yet

Your rationale is all over the place. That was an example to say that the most critical of functions doctors can perform is cutting someone open, so with risking my life to be in the middle of surgery anyway, I'd rather that surgeon be someone who can pass a test period rather than these trusted cohorts of doctors of yours that cannot or require many attempts to do so.

But sure let's operate that you're right, someone who has been through two decades of standardized schooling and other professional training would have no idea of the relevance of standardized testing. I guess we can have this conversation again if I become a doctor amongst all my classmates who also had decent MCAT scores. We'll still be lacking the important data of physicians with poor scores at that time, however.

Whether we like it or not, the MCAT gives a statistical cut mark that is not subjective. It does not care where you live or attended, what you look like, if you can BS on an essay, how nice the suit you wear is to an interview etc... It is a filter, part of an algorithm, that helps schools to weed out thousands of candidates that aren't ready yet. And when you use it with the MSAR, it saves the candidates money. Often people do not hold accurate assessments of themselves. So having an nonobjective number can tell you that applying to schools X, Y and Z are a waste of your money, since chances are slim to none. Apply to schools A, B and C instead. Or prep for another year and try again.

So while we all agree there is HUGE frustration and uncertainty this year, that does not discredit some of what the test does.
Exactly, it allows schools to stratify applicants that come from wildly different schools where there are varying levels of difficulty in attaining a certain GPA. I come from a no-nome state school so I'm very happy that the MCAT exists so that I don't get passed up from someone from a higher tier school simply because of that when I may be able to outscore them by a reasonable margin on the MCAT

Simple - you are wrong.
You can delude your mind all you want into thinking that the MCAT or any other standarized testin is important - it's not
USMLE is a bunch a garbage too - and USMLE 1 has been changed to P/F btw so even more useless now.
It's fine I get that med students don't understand this at this stage, but it has 0 correlation to how you practice as a physician
As a practicing physician I can attest to this.
So please dont go spewing on how this is important to practice. And how people do on step 1, 2, 3 outside of residency has 0 effect on one's goodness or badness as a PRACTICING PHYSICIAN.
Some people excel on tests, others suck.
That's just reality.

One vote from a doctor that the MCAT is useless. I will take this ONE data point and include it in my ongoing survey of physicians who volunteer their opinions.

So far it is ONE for extremely useful, TWO for "it makes you look at things differently and consider how multiple factors relate" (or something like that), and ONE for it's pointless.

It would seem that the utility of the MCAT to how one practices as a physician correlates well their positive outlook in general. Of course there are no practicing physicians who have taken the current MCAT that we (took or will take), so maybe the recent changes make it more relevant to practice down the road.

One vote from a doctor that the MCAT is useless. I will take this ONE data point and include it in my ongoing survey of physicians who volunteer their opinions.

So far it is ONE for extremely useful, TWO for "it makes you look at things differently and consider how multiple factors relate" (or something like that), and ONE for it's pointless.

It would seem that the utility of the MCAT to how one practices as a physician correlates well their positive outlook in general. Of course there are no practicing physicians who have taken the current MCAT that we (took or will take), so maybe the recent changes make it more relevant to practice down the road.

If practicing doctors outside of SDN are talkinga bout their MCAT scores then they are doing something very very wrong considering that the MCAT is even before med school.
But it's fine - you guys are talking like clueless not even med students.
Good luck to you guys- you will one day realize how wrong you are. I suggest that for those of you who might get into med school, don't argue as petulant children with your attendings/professors or you will be back on the "what do i do now that I got canned"threads.
Good luck.

I just accepted my reality that applying to medical school wasn't going to happen this year today. I rescheduled for July, applied to community college to improve my dog[scizor] GPA, and am just going to apply next year. Sorry for your luck bois, I feel ya. :/

If practicing doctors outside of SDN are talkinga bout their MCAT scores then they are doing something very very wrong considering that the MCAT is even before med school.
But it's fine - you guys are talking like clueless not even med students.
Good luck to you guys- you will one day realize how wrong you are. I suggest that for those of you who might get into med school, don't argue as petulant children with your attendings/professors or you will be back on the "what do i do now that I got canned"threads.
Good luck.

Wow do you have a serious case of the fragile ego. The incessant need to remind anonymous posters on a forum site of a hierarchy that exists in the real world, and not online, diminishes your arguments and credibility. I think most reasonable people on this site understand the nuances and expected behaviors in actual professional settings, this of which, is not one.

Thanks for the kind wish of luck and somewhat stimulating discussion.

There is absolutely no way to know the answer to this now. It's probably safe to assume May tests won't happen, but nobody knows for sure, and there is zero visibility beyond that with respect to June, July, etc. So nobody, not even AAMC, can tell you what dates have a minimal chance of being cancelled.

Beyond that, we also don't know exactly how all schools will respond, so impact to application timeline is also uncertain. It is worth noting, however, that verification refers to grade transcripts, not MCAT scores, which are transmitted directly from AAMC to the schools with no delay once they are released. California schools have already said NOT to let a delay in MCAT scores to prevent you from submitting an application. What's unknown is how other schools will respond. Stay tuned!!!

Joint Statement from the Admissions Deans of California Medical Schools Regarding Academic Work and MCAT Tests that are Affected by the COVID-19 Outbreak

MCAT Tests – We will accept applications from individuals who were unable to take the MCAT due to COVID-related test cancellations. For these candidates, we will base secondary application decisions on the information that is available to us at the time of the application. Assuming that MCAT testing resumes prior to October, we will require applicants to have taken the MCAT before we make admissions decisions for the Class of 2025. Accordingly, applicants should not delay applying simply because an MCAT score is not yet available.

May 9, 15, 16, and 21 were cancelled. Hope my May 29 test doesn't get cancelled too. I was actually about to reschedule for July this Morning but decided against it. Now, the MCAT registration system is down until 4/17 while they add new exam dates.

Does anyone have any reason to believe they will cancel the June MCATs? I've been working nonstop lately so haven't kept up with the news. I heard Virginia had a lockdown until June 10th. I really don't think they will move the MCAT online however, it is just too easy to cheat on unlike the LSAT which is CARS on steroids.

Does anyone have any reason to believe they will cancel the June MCATs? I've been working nonstop lately so haven't kept up with the news. I heard Virginia had a lockdown until June 10th. I really don't think they will move the MCAT online however, it is just too easy to cheat on unlike the LSAT which is CARS on steroids.
I wouldn’t be surprised if June and July mcat dates are cancelled as well. This is not going away anytime soon.

• Dislike

I'd be surprised if they were. Honestly cancelling May tests seemed a little premature. If you been keeping an eye on the statistics, the number of new cases in the US has leveled out in the low 30,000 per day. So we're not out of the woods yet, but hopefully are close to the peak.