MCAT CARS & AAMC FL1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diamondkings

M1 student trying to keep on keepin on’.
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

So I took my Kaplan Diagnostic on 6/4/19. Score breakdown: 489 (122, 124, 122, 121).

For the last month, I did the complete 7 books Kaplan content review and went through them extensively.

Took my AAMC FL 1 on 7/19/19 and scored a 494 (124, 120, 125, 125). I know this is only a 5 point increase, but the content review seemed to show great improvement in all sections. The thing glaring me in the face is CARS... Sometimes I will fully grasp what the passages are telling me, and others, I read the entire passage and then realize I really do not realize what I have just read. What is the best method to go over AAMC FL to find mistakes/weak areas?

I have looked into the 31-day CARS boot camp through testing solutions in hopes to get it to a 125. I plan on testing on 8/31/19 and could honestly even push and take it the last date this cycle (9/14/19) as I am only applying to DO schools and am shooting for a 500-505.

With all this said, I apologize for the loaded post, but I look forward to hearing from anyone with some advice. I plan to continue doing practice passages here on out with constant review of a really good Anki deck I have found and really honing in on my test strategies to also try to improve on my science and psych sections. CARS is the main advice I am looking for.

Thanks in advance,

diamond kings

Members don't see this ad.

CARS can be improved with a few methods.

1. Read articles from: NY Times, LA Times, or The New Yorker.
The point of those articles is to increase your speed at reading and comprehending.

2. Do passages:
1. EK 101
2. Princeton Verbal Hyperlearning
3. AAMC CARS Question Packs

Reactions: 1 users
Hello all,

So I took my Kaplan Diagnostic on 6/4/19. Score breakdown: 489 (122, 124, 122, 121).

For the last month, I did the complete 7 books Kaplan content review and went through them extensively.

Took my AAMC FL 1 on 7/19/19 and scored a 494 (124, 120, 125, 125). I know this is only a 5 point increase, but the content review seemed to show great improvement in all sections. The thing glaring me in the face is CARS... Sometimes I will fully grasp what the passages are telling me, and others, I read the entire passage and then realize I really do not realize what I have just read. What is the best method to go over AAMC FL to find mistakes/weak areas?

I have looked into the 31-day CARS boot camp through testing solutions in hopes to get it to a 125. I plan on testing on 8/31/19 and could honestly even push and take it the last date this cycle (9/14/19) as I am only applying to DO schools and am shooting for a 500-505.

With all this said, I apologize for the loaded post, but I look forward to hearing from anyone with some advice. I plan to continue doing practice passages here on out with constant review of a really good Anki deck I have found and really honing in on my test strategies to also try to improve on my science and psych sections. CARS is the main advice I am looking for.

Thanks in advance,

diamond kings

CARS can be improved with a few methods.

1. Read articles from: NY Times, LA Times, or The New Yorker.
The point of those articles is to increase your speed at reading and comprehending.

2. Do passages:
1. EK 101
2. Princeton Verbal Hyperlearning
3. AAMC CARS Question Packs
Doubling down on the good advice here: CARS can be prepared for by reading reading reading. Get your hands on any kind of well written non scientific material and improve your reading comprehension.

I would say use kaplan cars review book also but maybe decide for yourself if you want to follow their strict CARS strategy. For me, just improving my reading and comprehension speed worked out well enough. You want to get used to anticipating the kinds of connections they want you to make.

Reactions: 1 users