MCAT - CARS 'weird/complex' passages

Started by yokiguz
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

yokiguz

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all, I will be writing my MCAT 1+ years from now and want to improve my two weakest sections, CARS (128) and P/S (128).

I noticed that often I would get destroyed by those weird philosophy passages that are near impossible to understand. Since I have lots of time to study for my MCAT, I don't mind taking a MOOC or something that would help with reading comprehension. Any ideas? I've been reading and critically analyzing NYT opinion pieces nearly daily but I need more 'philosophy' type passages with some type of explanation after to see if I got the main point.

Any suggestions would be helpful!
 
When I get to the bull**** art/philosophy passage I always answer the questions without reading the passage and flag every one to revisit them at the end. This helps me avoid spending a lot of time and avoid getting tilted. Which in my opinion are bigger risks than getting them wrong.

With philosophy it's generally written in a very logical way. So try and identify the premises and break them down in your head in discrete mathematical/logical terms. Every passage is meant to setup a key premise and walk you through to a conclusion. You might want to look into some basic propositional logic and then try applying that type of analysis to these passages and see if that helps. Hypothetical/Disjunctive syllogisms and Modus Tollens/Ponens specifically.
 
When I get to the bull**** art/philosophy passage I always answer the questions without reading the passage and flag every one to revisit them at the end. This helps me avoid spending a lot of time and avoid getting tilted. Which in my opinion are bigger risks than getting them wrong.

With philosophy it's generally written in a very logical way. So try and identify the premises and break them down in your head in discrete mathematical/logical terms. Every passage is meant to setup a key premise and walk you through to a conclusion. You might want to look into some basic propositional logic and then try applying that type of analysis to these passages and see if that helps. Hypothetical/Disjunctive syllogisms and Modus Tollens/Ponens specifically.

Thanks for the advice. Will def look into basic propositional logic!

It’s usually hard to get me tilted 🙂


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk