mcat cutoff

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bumbl3b33

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I called Jefferson today after reading something on SDN about MCAT cutoffs there, and the lady said the cutoff is at 9 in each section--are there any other schools like this?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, but I'd say 8 is more typical. 10 to be considered competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
and what schools have that 8 cutoff? I'd rather not waste 33+secondary dollars. thanks!

When you get the MSAR, they have a bar graph kind of thing that shows the MCAT score ranges for each school. You can basically get those numbers from those graphs if nothing else.

Is the lowest range considered as the cut off?
I saw Johns hokpins listed lowest VR as 9, but I know a person who got in with an 8.

When you get the MSAR, they have a bar graph kind of thing that shows the MCAT score ranges for each school. You can basically get those numbers from those graphs if nothing else.

I saw Johns hokpins listed lowest VR as 9, but I know a person who got in with an 8.
I would think so. Is the year's data on the MSAR from the same year this person got accepted?

Please keep in mind, it might not be a hard and fast rule and there can be exceptions (though I would think they report them... maybe not). You can also get this information on many of the school websites, too.

If you get an 8 in any section, consider retaking to give yourself a much better shot.

If you get an 8 in any section, consider retaking to give yourself a much better shot.

I wish SDN didn't word vomit this kind of stuff....I know of people who had 8VRs who got acceptances. 1 person applied to 15 places, got invites to 8, accepted to 7--1 of them was a top 25 school. no URM, good GPA obvi, no pubs or anything, no super impressive EC's

Last edited:
I wish SDN didn't word vomit this kind of stuff....I know of people who had 8VRs who got acceptances. 1 person applied to 15 places, got invites to 8, accepted to 7--1 of them was a top 25 school. no URM, good GPA obvi, no pubs or anything, no super impressive EC's
n=1 example doesn't mean that it isn't a good idea to retake with an 8 or lower for allopathic schools

"Oh look, I have anecdotal evidence that proves that you can get into a top 25 school without impressive scores or ECs!"

I know it's hyperbole, but if you think that you can do better, there is no reason to not think about retaking it.

I'm surprised-almost skeptical--that Jefferson admitted to a cutoff. I don't think any school admits a cutoff. Who was the person you spoke to?

I'm surprised-almost skeptical--that Jefferson admitted to a cutoff. I don't think any school admits a cutoff. Who was the person you spoke to?

Yeah I am curious about this as well. Because 2010 MSAR data says that the 10th percentile of acceptees had an 8 or lower in physical science. So obviously there was no cutoff. But then again that was 3 cycles ago

I am not surprised by this because I feel as if cut-offs are not always upheld. Jefferson having a cut-off at 9, so a total of a 27 mcat is the minimum. Do you really think they have not admitted a URM with less than a 27? Of course I am speculating, but I'm sure they've probably accepted people with lower mcats.

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry, I an mistaken, I only saw MSAR on line, which says the 10 the percentile of verbal is 9. I did not see a range.
Actually I googled for "cut off" and there was a post saying hopkins does not have a cut off. Not sure whether it's true or not.

sorry, I an mistaken, I only saw MSAR on line, which says the 10 the percentile of verbal is 9. I did not see a range.
Actually I googled for "cut off" and there was a post saying hopkins does not have a cut off. Not sure whether it's true or not.
Are you talking about Jefferson or Hopkins? Jefferson has been the topic of this thread so far

Where do you see this? I bought the MSAR and I only see 10th-90th percentile ranges for composite MCAT scores.

Where do you see this? I bought the MSAR and I only see 10th-90th percentile ranges for composite MCAT scores.

Ah, that's what it is. That's my mistake... it's been over a year since I looked at an MSAR. That said, it's still a useful tool. I wouldn't bother applying to a school where I was below the 10th percentile unless I was a really special snowflake (which most people aren't, by definition).

Why do I always click on threads that I know will depress me?

This is not true. My overall score was a 31 buuut I scored a 7 in the physical sciences. I was accepted at Jefferson (from the first interview group on the first day acceptances were given). I was also accepted to U of Miami, UCF, FAU, FIU and was waitlisted at NYMC (turned them down immediately though) and Mayo.
It's possible. I think it depends on the rest of your application. I also took the MCAT without having taking the 2nd semester of physics (due to time constraints, I'm a non trad).

I think the fact that the 10th pecentile is 8 or 9 does not exclude the possibility of someone getting accepted with a 7.
The percentile may just tell us the possiblity of getting in with a certain score.

This is not true. My overall score was a 31 buuut I scored a 7 in the physical sciences. I was accepted at Jefferson (from the first interview group on the first day acceptances were given). I was also accepted to U of Miami, UCF, FAU, FIU and was waitlisted at NYMC (turned them down immediately though) and Mayo.
It's possible. I think it depends on the rest of your application. I also took the MCAT without having taking the 2nd semester of physics (due to time constraints, I'm a non trad).

The question is whether some or most schools really use cut off, like 6, or 7 on each section, or a composite score of some number, The thing is most schools got so many application, they will certainly need some first round screening to cut down the number of applicants to be reviewed holistically.

Wow, was not expecting so many responses...so about my story 1) I called Jefferson, and I think I spoke to someone in the transcripts subsection of the admission office 2) her exact quote was "usually about 9" re: cutoff

I was surprised to hear her give me any kind of response, to be honest

"Oh look, I have anecdotal evidence that proves that you can get into a top 25 school without impressive scores or ECs!"

I know it's hyperbole, but if you think that you can do better, there is no reason to not think about retaking it.

I'm not saying don't retake. I'm just saying that this whole notion that if you don't have xyz you need to do ABC that goes around on SDN is a result of SDN over-achiever bias. And as for that story: this person got into UVA with a verbal of 8, I've known people to get into Hopkins with 8 as well. Again, Caucasian, non-disadvantaged, no significant research, good GPA's, no overly spectacular GPA's. I have enough friends who got into good, top-ranked schools to say--- no, bottom 10% shown on MSAR is not a cutoff!!

I'm just trying to point out to the readers of SDN to not put all their eggs in one basket based off of SDN--SDN =/= reality.