UCLA DGSOM Cutoff

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ducks_are _the best

Reaction score
For any applicants for UCLA this cycle, did anyone get any interview below the MCAT cutoff of 512? Is it worth applying? would they look at your overall application before rejection?

Members don't see this ad.

I had an interview in early September with an MCAT lower than a 512. For future cycles, I'd say it's worth applying if your score is lower than that IF all other parts of your application are stellar or you have something to really make you stand out, as they clearly don't just look at your score before offering interviews. For this cycle, it seems like they've already given out the majority of their interviews based on the school-specific thread and their admissions timeline online, so I don't think it's worth it to apply at this point if you haven't already.

Edit: Just want to put a disclaimer out that anything I'm saying is based on personal experience and what I've read on the school-specific thread

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Also, if you go through the school-specific thread, there are at least a few people who have posted about getting interviews with scores lower than that.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can also look at CDU. Their students attend and graduate from UCLA DGSOM and the mean MCAT scores are slightly lower. With that being said they are a very mission oriented school, which is why they account for more than just scores.

Also, if you go through the school-specific thread, there are at least a few people who have posted about getting interviews with scores lower than that.
or acceptances.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
For any applicants for UCLA this cycle, did anyone get any interview below the MCAT cutoff of 512? Is it worth applying? would they look at your overall application before rejection?
Because everybody and their aunt wants to go to med school in LA, I can't recommend applying to UCLA unless your stats are > their 25th %ile OR you have a very compelling life story and/or you have some killer ECs.

The higher up the pole you want to climb, the slipperier it gets.

Reactions: 1 user
Because everybody and their aunt wants to go to med school in LA, I can't recommend applying to UCLA unless your stats are > their 25th %ile OR you have a very compelling life story and/or you have some killer ECs.

The higher up the pole you want to climb, the slipperier it gets.
What are some killer ECs for UCLA?

• Haha
What are some killer ECs for UCLA?

The people I talked to there either had incredibly unique backgrounds to the point I wouldnt say on here as it would identify them or they had very solid stories. Aka working with refugees consistently to the point of living near the source of turmoil for a year to try and help.

• Wow
The people I talked to there either had incredibly unique backgrounds to the point I wouldnt say on here as it would identify them or they had very solid stories. Aka working with refugees consistently to the point of living near the source of turmoil for a year to try and help.
Thanks. How many the admit approximately those with lower stats with incredible stories vs those with very high stats and good ECs and LORs?

Thanks. How many the admit approximately those with lower stats with incredible stories vs those with very high stats and good ECs and LORs?

I have no idea because I dont work in admissions. So some?
Also SDN is skewed so I wouldnt take what you see here or on the school thread as the normal population, good or bad.

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed at UCLA with an MCAT < 512 and a cGPA < 3.5 back in September. I do think I have a pretty compelling life story/why medicine story and unique ECs so I think those carried me through. But there was definitely no hard cut off for secondaries or interviews this cycle. I got a secondary the day after I was verified and received the II in August

I interviewed at UCLA with an MCAT < 512 and a cGPA < 3.5 back in September. I do think I have a pretty compelling life story/why medicine story and unique ECs so I think those carried me through. But there was definitely no hard cut off for secondaries or interviews this cycle. I got a secondary the day after I was verified and received the II in August
Are you in state?

Does anyone know what UCLA means when they say they evaluate applicants with doctorate degrees accordingly? I found that on their faq page.

Does anyone know what UCLA means when they say they evaluate applicants with doctorate degrees accordingly? I found that on their faq page.
It means if you have a PhD they take that into consideration.

Thanks. How many the admit approximately those with lower stats with incredible stories vs those with very high stats and good ECs and L
LM>80, incredible LORs mentioned in other interviews, strong ECs for traditional applicant. Rejected Pre-II. Other T10 IIs.
Impossible to figure out, be grateful for the things that go your way.

Walter?

I had an interview in early September with an MCAT lower than a 512. For future cycles, I'd say it's worth applying if your score is lower than that IF all other parts of your application are stellar or you have something to really make you stand out, as they clearly don't just look at your score before offering interviews. For this cycle, it seems like they've already given out the majority of their interviews based on the school-specific thread and their admissions timeline online, so I don't think it's worth it to apply at this point if you haven't already.

Edit: Just want to put a disclaimer out that anything I'm saying is based on personal experience and what I've read on the school-specific thread

Can I pm you about asking about my experiences and wondering if it is worth a shot at applying to UCLA?