MCAT Exam Statistics for 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Espadaleader

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Below is the link for the 2013 MCAT Exam statistics. It shows percentile scores and distributions for the overall exam and each subsection. It also shows percentage of retakers achieving a specific score change.

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/361080/data/combined13.pdf.pdf

I think its important to understand just how hard this exam is. Yes, many people do great but most people do not. The average matriculant MCAT has risen to 31. This means that the average person getting into ANY MD school scored higher than 83% of the MCAT test pool. Wow.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321494/data/2013factstable17.pdf

For those studying, this may be a motivator. When I saw this distribution for 2011, I knew how much I needed to work if I was going to compete with the best and when I saw my performance related to my peers in 2012, I knew the sacrifice was worth it.

I am not here to lecture those that have been through the process and/or understand the process. I honestly thought MCAT was just another exam until I saw this table in 2011. I think the hard work that people on SDN put in to score on the MCAT should be respected as such. I just have seen too much of this "streampaw" behavior on the threads disparaging what people worked hard to achieve.

Ok. Enough of this. Its beer-o-clock.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd be curious to see how this new MCAT is going to muck everything up. The first couple years, especially the first one when a lot of their data is coming from "optional" participation, are going to be rough.