MCAT expiration date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gobruins

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to this board but it looks like lots of good information gets posted so here's my question:

How strict are schools with their oldest MCAT requirement date?

I took mine in April 1999 (32Q, ucla 3.2 gpa 3.1 science (yes, horrific, I know), applied, 2 interviews, 1 waitlist. I'm currently a first year in a Master's program and applying again this cycle.

Alot of the schools I'm interested in though list their oldest accepted MCAT as 2000 in the MSAR.

Anybody out there have experience with contacting adcom's about making an exception for the 1 year difference?

Coincidentally, I called up one of the two schools I interviewed at (they have a 2000 requirement) and the rep said I had a good case though she couldn't guarantee anything. I was told to e-mail the admissions dean.

Hrm, just thought of another question as I was writing this. Is there now a way to show your general GRE scores (master's program required them, and I did decently on them)? Would it even make a difference?

Ok, sorry for the rambling. Thanks for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

I would assume that if you didn't meet the required oldest accepted MCAT, it would not be accepted. Although, I am sure many schools will look at the score and take it in consideration. I think their reasoning is that the demographics each year of people who take the MCAT consists of stronger and stronger examinees. Therefore, a 30 on the MCAT in 1990 is not as strong as a 30 in 2002.

However, I think there is a spot on the AMACS application for GRE scores. They wont use this for final judgement of your application because they are not able to compare you to many other students, but high scores could help you out a lot.

If you already got an interview, then I wouldn't worry about the MCAT. It sounds like they want a more recent MCAT, but will take an older one.