MCAT expiration ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wholeheartedly

Epi Geek
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know a few nontrads have run into this. Since schools determine how old MCAT scores can be that they'll still accept, I'm assuming AMCAS includes any MCAT score you have even if it was from from like 10 years ago? So schools would still be able to technically see them on your app. even if they don't factor them in?

Also, I know it varies by school, but is it generally age of your score by say application time in June or age more around Dec/Jan? I'll be getting an MSAR soon, jut don't have it yet. Well actually I do have a book version from like 2006 or something, lol.

Members don't see this ad.

I know a few nontrads have run into this. Since schools determine how old MCAT scores can be that they'll still accept, I'm assuming AMCAS includes any MCAT score you have even if it was from from like 10 years ago? So schools would still be able to technically see them on your app. even if they don't factor them in?

Also, I know it varies by school, but is it generally age of your score by say application time in June or age more around Dec/Jan? I'll be getting an MSAR soon, jut don't have it yet. Well actually I do have a book version from like 2006 or something, lol.
Not sure about your first question but I believe yes, amcas everything taken since thx has been around, 01 i think. There's a way to include earlier results but since it didn't affect me i didn't really pay attention to it.

For your second q, each school that has a limit should specify, either by saying the earliest exam date it will accept, or whether or not it's matriculation or application date.

Not sure about your first question but I believe yes, amcas everything taken since thx has been around, 01 i think. There's a way to include earlier results but since it didn't affect me i didn't really pay attention to it.

For your second q, each school that has a limit should specify, either by saying the earliest exam date it will accept, or whether or not it's matriculation or application date.

Thanks, first question was more curiosity than anything. Second question I was just trying to figure out if there's a general time of a month/time of year or whatever, the few schools I've browsed only have max number of years old listed, where as they have specific dates for the latest they'll accept. A couple don't have anything. I think the new MSAR comes out in April so I'm holding off to purchase until then.

My issue is I'm trying to decide when to take the MCAT and whether to take the new or old. I won't lie and say I'm not a bit uncertain about a brand new test (although I've actually got a pretty strong social science background so it might help), but I'm more concerned with being able to use the rather extensive set of prep materials I already have and have paid for and the abundance of practice problems I've got on hand. On the other hand I don't want to get into a situation where it expires and I have to take the darn thing again. If I take the current one it'll either be this spring or next fall, hence the question if there's a time of year consideration in the oldest accepted.