MCAT for Pre-pods

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaNEM

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend is applying to podiatry school, and he took the MCAT, but got a 15. Will schools let him in with that? Is there any cutoff?

Members don't see this ad.

Each school has different criteria. If he's applying to all of the schools and as long as he has a relatively decent GPA, I'd bet someone would take him.

I had a friend in pod school who was a student rep on the admissions board. He told me that they offered admission to someone who had a cumulative MCAT of 7. No joke.

Some of the schools don't even require the MCAT. I think that means that they know that it's tough and they probably get a lot of low scores.

Good luck

When I interviewed at Barry, my student guide told me he got a 15 on his MCAT. He was a PM3 and the class officer. So obviously, some schools will take your friend. Considering the sad state fo affairs facing the applicant pool, I would be willing to wager that some schools would indeed take him. Some schools are seriously in need of money and thus would be willing to take a chance on a lower scoring student. This is also why the schools are beginning to take other admissions tests (GRE, PCAT, etc). But if he got a 15 on the MCAT, personally I would rethink my career prospects. That doesn't bode well for your future, especially considering the average MCAT is 24. And its been shown that you improve only about 4 points on your subsequent MCATs. See the MCAT trends published every year for details.

Keep in mind that being accepted is not the same thing as passing. And it also does not say anything about latter performance. Getting in does not guarantee success. As thesaurus mentioned, it might be worth rethinking goals and plans.