Mcat general chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KVS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is by far my worst mcat section. I understand all the concepts and rules. But when I actually do the (Princeton review) passages, it turns out horrible.

I started by giving myself 12 minutes per passage, and I went over time and kept getting around 1-4 wrong per passage.

Then i started timing separately where I gave myself 2 minutes to read the passage and then 1 min/q. I still went a little bit over on the questions and still keep getting many of them wrong.

Any suggestions to really tackle a gen chem passage?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

This really belongs in the MCAT general discussions to be honest, but I would say that you need to practice more different types of problems.

First, identify your weaknesses.
Second, practice looking at these concepts from different perspectives. If this involves an equation, try predicting what outcome a change might create, then confirm this by re-arranging the equation. Do this multiple times until you don't even have to manipulate equations because you understand the bigger picture.
Third, don't just read through the subject like you're reading a novel. You're reading to understand which means that you need to critically think about what you're reading. Make sure you understand a topic before moving on to the next, especially when it builds on a previous topic. Try YouTube, or ask a question on here for help with explaining something.

I know you said that you understand all the concepts and rules, but obviously if you're having trouble with the timing, then you don't understand it well enough to correctly answer the questions quickly as is necessary on the MCAT. Try using different sources than just Princeton. For example, I am weak in physics so I have been using TBR, Examkrackers, Wikipremed (super excellent source), and Nova's Physics. When I come across something I have trouble with (electromagnetism for example), I read the material from all of my sources. I even go on YouTube and see how other people explain it. If that sounds excessive, well, maybe it is but I know that I need to really understand the concepts rather than just memorize equations (even though after you do enough problems and read something enough, you naturally memorize equations)