MCAT HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alikhan9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering what are the best books to use for content wise for the material for the MCAT? Also what is the best updated schedule for the MCAT and what program or book can I use for practice questions.For the DAT, they have a book called "DAT Destroyer" and I was wondering if we have anything like that which presents harder material in these practice exams to prepare us for the real MCAT? I guess any advice is appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Kaplan
The Princeton Review
ExamKrackers
etc...

All make MCAT prep materials.

For practice exams I used the official AAMC tests, NextStep exams, and Gold Standard exams.

Next steps were the most predictive of my score.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends:
If you need more detailed content review get TBR
If you just need a short skim of content review get EK
If you need an intermediate get Kaplan

Depends:
If you need more detailed content review get TBR
If you just need a short skim of content review get EK
If you need an intermediate get Kaplan

Thats intersting, I just don't know which one to choose from. I am currently in my third year i feel that the material is in my mind I took a NextPrep diagnostic exam and got a 495. I was leaning for Kaplan because it is used by many but Berkley is harder and this would prepare me the best

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a 496 diagnostic (without ever having physics) and I chose TBR because I would rather be over prepared and I'm studying for 4 months so I can build in a little extra content review. They are all good though so it really is up to you and what you're looking for in a book.

Thats intersting, I just don't know which one to choose from. I am currently in my third year i feel that the material is in my mind I took a NextPrep diagnostic exam and got a 495. I was leaning for Kaplan because it is used by many but Berkley is harder and this would prepare me the best

I think both are fine, as long as you spend a majority of your time answering AAMC level questions. Yes, you need to have a foundation of the concepts (Which both of those books adequately do, and I went w/ kaplan btw and personally loved the level of detail), but remember the MCAT provides a lot of necessary info to answer questions in the passages and tests on major concepts in general, not just solely specific details. My philosophy is that any prep book is good, but the practice tests and applying your knowledge is where it counts. Hope this helps!

I think both are fine, as long as you spend a majority of your time answering AAMC level questions. Yes, you need to have a foundation of the concepts (Which both of those books adequately do, and I went w/ kaplan btw and personally loved the level of detail), but remember the MCAT provides a lot of necessary info to answer questions in the passages and tests on major concepts in general, not just solely specific details. My philosophy is that any prep book is good, but the practice tests and applying your knowledge is where it counts. Hope this helps!
Which practice test do you recommend to get my friend said he wished he would have done some more exams is there any schedule that incorporates two months of exam review?

Which practice test do you recommend to get my friend said he wished he would have done some more exams is there any schedule that incorporates two months of exam review?

My knowledge on each and every test company is limited, but from experience, Princeton/Kaplan is very deflated and NextStep is slightly deflated but most representative. For sure get the AAMC practice tests since they write the actual MCAT, then I'd say get NS. But if you are still unsure, keep asking around! everyone's approach is different but this has worked best for me!